Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

MMXL - A MiniMill Conversion

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Scotty Orr, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Veteran
    Builder

Scotty Orr published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Anthony Bolgar

Builder

Interesting. I have all the parts for a minimill, but I think I will copy your build idea instead. Thanks for sharing!

Scotty Orr likes this.
  3. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

Hi Scotty, Congrats on the new build!

I wonder if you considered building an OX? This is just my opinion, but it looks to me that if you were to now cut the plates required to make an OX, add in a few more meters of timing belt, sprockets, and one more stepper motor, you could have an OX with more than double the cut area. If you don't want to cut the plates yourself, there's an Open Builds member on eBay that sells them and they are top notch.

Scotty Orr likes this.
  4. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Veteran
    Builder

I haven't considered the OX. I hadn't thought about anything that big - yet! One nice thing about this rig is that I should be able to cut plates for most of the designs I've seen here. So when It's time to upgrade again, I'll be ready (and there are so many to choose from). I'll need a bigger shop though....

5. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Veteran
    Builder

Just a couple of additional comments on the build:
    I accidentally left off the additional 6mm spacers needed from the parts list (1 regular, 1 eccentric).

If you want the longer version build area, but don't want to cut the custom plate, you could use 2 Universal Build plates in tandem. In either case, you'll need (4) additional V-wheel kits, (4) more 25mm screws, (4) more 6mm spacers (2 of each type), and (1) lead screw nut block (w/screws, spacers, nuts). This would increase the maximum build length to about 20.5 inches.

If you replace the C-Beam XL plate on the back of the Z-axis with a Universal V-Slot Gantry plate, you can increase the build width to about 11.75 inches (max travel would be ~300mm, and there is room between the columns).

If you are happy with the 10x16 configuration, you could cut down the long C-Beam and lead screw to match. This might prevent needing the extra support under the tail, as well as allow the addition of a jog knob on the Y-axis.

(Or you can mix/match to get your own custom size.)

One additional note you may need if you build before I get more video posted: Mark the Y-axis C-Beam at 351mm from the tail. This will line up with the back of the rear cross brace of the frame. and puts the mill head centered at 500mm on the Y-axis.

#5 Scotty Orr, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  6. Julius

Julius Veteran
    Builder

Isnt a big mini mill just a CBeam machine?

7. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Veteran
    Builder

No. (And what would be wrong with that anyway?) My upgrade was inspired by the C-Beam Machine (as I mentioned), but it's narrower and uses parts from the MiniMill. I certainly hope it works as well as the C-Beam Machine appears to. One more thing: This is an upgrade, not a fresh build. It's meant for people that already have a MiniMill and don't want to spend another $600 to have both a MiniMill and a C-Beam machine. (Like me.)