Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

LEAD Lathe

Discussion in 'CNC Lathes' started by Giarc, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

Giarc published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Following this with interest as it's something I would very much like to do.
    (The Ebay link for the rotary axis has died though @Giarc).
    I know you wanted to use only Openbuilds parts, but I think a sheet metal brace behind the uprights would be a bit more rigid.
    Alex.

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Nice design. Two items you might look into. The drive rail on the X-axis should be the lower rail. This creates less eccentricity on the system and thus less flexure when you're milling lengthwise. The other would be lengthwise adjustability of the tail stock. Jon Norris had a pretty good approach in his design but it won't quite give you the depth you seek. You might consider using a 20x40 rail centered on the bottom rail and an inverted C-Beam as the lower block on the tail stock stack to allow for a self aligning slide.

Mark Carew and Giarc like this.
  4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Project Maker Builder Resident Builder

Very cool looking design @Giarc following this one!

5. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

Here are the two Lathes that I am stealing ideas from. Rotary CNC and C Beam Rotary I believe Gwandad's is done, but he just did not mark it as such. I had also considered doing like Gwandad did in his and use a 40*3*1000 mm piece of aluminum bar stock as a guide for the tailstock, but living in the U.S. may make that difficult since most places around me that sell aluminum only have 1 1/2" inch (38.1mm).

I had considered using aluminum plates on the outside edges of my stack of smaller 2080s that would hold them all together and over lap the 1000mm long 2080 "guide". It would get locked in place with the t-slot bolts.

Alex, this is the ebay seller that I purchased from. They have an Amazon store. I wanted a 4 Jaw when I first ordered, but it was not available. Now it is. :rolleyes: No big deal. I have a solution for round stock. I linked both below. I have the 3 jaw. The same seller (RATTM) has an Ebay store which has lower prices.
    https://www.amazon.com/K11-100mm-Engraving-Rotational-Tailstock-Reducing/dp/B07B2RTBGZ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=cnc+router+4th+axis+100mm+3+jaw+chuck&tailstock&qid=1592164546&s=industrial&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/K12-100mm-Milling-Rotational-Tailstock-Reducing/dp/B07B2RX1BK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=cnc+router+4th+axis+100mm+3+jaw+chuck&tailstock&qid=1592164605&s=industrial&sr=1-2

Also, I may switch to an aluminum plate as a brace because I have a lot of it due to buying things without thinking through a design all the way. :rolleyes: For the home builder without a CNC, it would be as simple as buying a piece of dimensional aluminum and putting a .pdf template I will provide over the top as a hole drilling guide. Hey, if I can hand build an entire CNC router that way, it should be simple to drill two lines of holes at 90 degrees. :)

I already have a base cabinet for it. My dad had an oak china cabinet base that has sat unfinished for 30 years in storage. It is a shame to use it for a shop cabinet, but I have no other use for it and it has a lot of drawers for storage.

6. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I will make the switch in the design. Thanks.

7. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I forgot to mention, I plan to add a laser diode to this as well, since I have one from an Acro build which got switched over to modifying a CO2 laser.

8. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

Craig, could you not use two 40mm shims (the 2 bottom ones) and one 80mm on the tail stock instead of the three 80mm and than you'll have the option of bolting them to the 80mm frame part?

9. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean.

Last night, I realized that this whole thing could be done with two High Z mods, a set of Cbeam end plates and a few pieces of extrusion and a few other items. The parts list should be simple to compile when I get to it.

10. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I don't think the High-Z mod kit includes any of the drive parts so you'll still be a fair distance out with the two High-Z kits. I would probably break it down into a couple actuator kits ([email protected], [email protected]) and 4 additional gantry kits, adding in a bag of long screws and a bag of 9mm spacers to turn the gantry carts into the front/back design. Beyond that, add in 1m of C-beam, a stack of regular V-slot and a whole lot of connectors to round out the design.

Giarc and MaryD like this.
  11. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

Attached Files: