Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ideas to increase Z-axis cutting height in the Workbee cnc ?

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Exodon, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Exodon

Exodon Well-Known
    Builder

Hi Community

Based on the workbee kit ( from ozznest or openbuilds), I'm looking for ideas to increase the Z-axis cut depth and after reading some section of the forum I found two solutions.

One is shared on a nice build done here: https://openbuilds.com/builds/workbee-cnc-build-my-honest-opinion-tips-and-help.6407

[​IMG]

Other options that I found is add a taller plates like this ones :
    WorkBee CNC 1" Taller Deluxe Y Side plates (seen at Openbuilds) | eBay

"In addition to giving 1" / ( 25,4 mm) more Z travel " based on the description.

So please in case someone have extra ideas will be great to see them.

My objective is to reach the minimum of 6 to 8cm depth + the waste board. Im going to work with pieces longer then the machine, something like :
    [​IMG]

workbee-z-height.png

However I want to keep the rigidity of the machine without changing so much the kit...adding the taller plates looks the more logic, however I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you all

Regards
    Ricardo

#1 Exodon, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Builder

Based on using the US version of the Workbee 1010 which has about 86mm clearance in the stock build all you would really need to do is turn the Z-axis around, fixing the Z-axis C-beam to the X-axis gantry plate and mounting the router mount to the Z-axis plate which will now run up and down on the fixed Z-axis rail. You will probably also need to trim the bearing plate at the bottom of the axis to where the router will clear. Reference file attached.

Workbee Z reversed.jpg

If you were wanting to go with the US version of the 1510, merely build the base low profile similar to the 1010 and go with the reversed Z-axis suggestion above.

Attached Files:

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. Exodon

Exodon Well-Known
    Builder

Hi Rick
    Thank you for the tip, this is a interesting approach! You did this to your machine ? Soon I have the machine going to simulate this approach....

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Builder

Not yet but I'm considering modding my Ox to include it. The idea has been floating around the forum for quite some time regarding the best way to increase working depth. (One previous thread here.) While the method has its limitations it is a far better approach as it induces less leverage on the system than jacking the X-axis up and then having to reach back down to the work piece. Less leverage means less overall flex in the system and more accurate cuts.

The only other suggestion I would offer would be to add a second spindle mounting ring just below the plastic spindle top to help stabilize the router. I'm not really a big fan of extending the router that far down in the mount but in your case it is necessary to achieve the depth required.

5. Exodon

Exodon Well-Known
    Builder

Hi Rick
    Very interesting topic there...In end of the discussion I understand the pros and cons of both solutions. To be honest if the spindle is well blocked with a improved plate might be better compare to the flexible z-axis move. I might try this when I get the machine....