Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Wall mounting an openbuilds design

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mirthgiver, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Mirthgiver

Builder

I know this has been posted before but I thought it worth re-addressing in greater detail. Like many of us, I struggle for space and have eyes bigger than my stomach when it comes to CNC. I have a LEAD 1010 and some experience but would consider myself still a beginner when it comes to building and operating a CNC.

I am aware of a few off the shelf products: Maslow CNC, Greenlean V2 and the Onefinity Wall Mount Kit. These could potentially be suitable. However, as i'm already in the ecosystem I would much rather use an OB design like the LEAD 1515 (ideally with a spindle upgrade). I found a few useful threads in the archive: Going Vertical, Hello and a question about vertical mounting and Going up, mounting CNC on wall. Unfortunately, these seemed to mostly be early in the design phase without much follow-up.

Mr Mechanical has several great videos showing how he has wall mounted his Workbee 1515 which by all accounts worked very well, though I would be interested in getting some thoughts from the more experienced users on here:
    - I know on the Onefinity, you need to adjust the motor voltages for it to work properly when wall mounted. Would that likely be the same with the High Torque Steppers from the partstore ( if so, could this strain the power supply?)
    - He chooses to mount at a slight angle which makes workholding far easier, this seems to be the sensible solution (potentially at the expense of my next point)
    - Spring Balancers. These seem like a good idea to take some load off the steppers. Would these need to be in the same plane as XY travel (eg if the machine was 15° from vertical, would the tool balancer also need to be fixed at 15°?)
    - Would switching to ballscrews and linear rails be a better idea for this use?
    - Ideally, I would like to upgrade the router to a 1.5kw watercooled spindle. Is this likely to be an insurmountable issue?

If I could make this work, my space would be far more functional. I will be operating in only 12SQM (an annexed well soundproofed bedroom) so there is room for a standard 1515 with space at the sides but no real room for material storage. Please let me know any ideas or advice I may have missed. This does seem like a project some hobbyists would be interested in, so I'll do my best to keep this thread updated.

2. Evilspawn

Evilspawn New
    Builder

I'd love to find more information about this idea. My 1515 will be arriving soon and I'd love to be able to put it on the wall instead of taking up over half my shop.

3. Mirthgiver

Builder

You’re in luck! Seems like it works pretty well even with stock designs. https://www.reddit.com/r/hobbycnc/c...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
    People have been running their longmills in this configuration for years with no reports of burning out motors. I had a chat with the guy from that sienci blog post and he confirmed it worked fine. Even linked me to a list of setups people had posted to FB. Personally I would still be conservative with my feeds/speeds and look into a tool balancer but it should work fine on a steep angle (actually going fully vertical makes tool holding a nightmare, 60 degrees etc seemed to be the sweet spot). If you could have a think about how best to reinforce the X axis that could be a good plan too but the stock lead design should work albeit protruding more from the wall than would be ideal. Two C beams stacked in the XY plane might be preferable to two in the Z plane as standard.

let me know how you get on, plan ahead and get someone to help you move it into position

sharmstr likes this.