Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Hello, and a question about vertical mounting.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Bad Builder, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Bad Builder

Builder

Hi everyone, I am brand new to cnc and I am almost finished assembling a workbee 1010. I would like to give a huge shout out to the team and designers of these kits. They have put together a great kit along with great assembly and setup videos and documents.

I never considered one of these as an in home machine before because I always thought of a cnc machine as massive shop tool for processing full sheet material with a huge dust control systems.

The further I explore the possible uses of these, the more I see just how versatile they really are. I am planning to set it up in my basement because my outside shop is too small. The amount of attachments and versatility of these is mind boggling. My initial testing will be with a pen attachment because I have no enclosure or dust control yet. I am looking into a laser as well... open to any suggestions on models, wattage, etc...

My first question after almost completing assembly is has anyone wall mounted one of these to save space?
    Are there any concerns or issues with doing this ?

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

That technically gives you a horizontal mill, and is fine, as long as your vertical axis motors can handle the substantial additional stress- there's a reason the z-axis is a screw. You may have to make some modifications (like making that axis a screw as well!).

And of course the workholding complexities, but that doesn't have to be too bad. Jigs, stops, etc can help there.

Bad Builder likes this.
  3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You would be asking a lot of the standard motors if you wanted them to raise the whole X axis as well as the Z. I asked Ooznest this question when I got mine and there advice was a firm no.
    Alex.

Bad Builder likes this.
  4. Bad Builder

Builder

Thanks for the replies. It has screws all the way around but I never thought of the extra weight for the steppers... makes sense now that you say that.

I ran the obligatory "Hello World" today with a pen just to test things out, now I need to look for more projects.

#4 Bad Builder, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Jeff Wilmore

Builder

I am new to Co2 laser and wanted to know why I do not see much info on mounting a Co2 laser on the Z axis? I removed the Bosch Router that was on the plate. Is mounting a Co2 laser vertical not a good idea? Thanks I don't know where else to post this question I saw this thread..and so there it is. Thanks!

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

CO2 laser tubes are long and fragile. They also require high voltage and a water cooling system.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Pim123

Pim123 New
    Builder

Check out this vid:

Vertical Workbee