Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Sphinx Z-axis upgrade

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Andreas Bockert, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Andreas Bockert

Andreas Bockert Veteran
    Builder

Andreas Bockert published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. CNCMD

CNCMD Veteran
    Builder

Check out my build, I build a Z Axis just as you are describing, might help you out some.

HD CNC

3. Andreas Bockert

Andreas Bockert Veteran
    Builder

That looks nice! I’m going a bit less beefy. 12mm round rails and 12mm ball screw. Unless I start upgrading more things then this should be the stiffest part of my machine by far.

Your design looks very similar to mine. Im planning to go with a belt drive like the Sphinx.

I’m also planning to simply thread the back plate and attach the rails to it directly. My rails are closer in height to the ballscrew.

A few questions:

Does the bottom plate in the z-beam fill any purpose other than looking awesome?
    Are you happy with 1/4 inch back plate? I’m concerned that it won’t be enough meat for the threads.
    Did you add the mount holes for limit sensor after the initial cut?

I’ll study your build closer when I have more time.

4. CNCMD

CNCMD Veteran
    Builder

I don't know what you mean by Belt drive. The Sphinx is leadscrew driven.

-The bottom plate doesn't really serve any purpose other than looks.
    -1/4" is plenty good for the back plate. You need to remember that weight is a concern. Depending on your span of your X axis, and the spindle choice, you could be talking serious weight.
    - The holes were in the plate when initially machined. I have since abandoned the hall effect limit switches. The product is fine, but requires you to orientate the sensor so it must sit in a real specific way. I am using standard roller limit switches, but honestly this is one area I would like to improve upon, given that mounting is not a huge undertaking.

More pics of my machine can be found at: CNC Studio (@cncmaryland) • Instagram photos and videos

GrayUK likes this.
  5. Andreas Bockert

Andreas Bockert Veteran
    Builder

Thank you for the answers.

What I mean is the Sphinx has two pulleys you couple the stepper to the lead screw. I’m plan on to stick with this at the moment.

The limit switch mounting is something I still haven’t designed. Perhaps I’ll simply add a whole bunch of threaded holes for future expansions. :p

6. CNCMD

CNCMD Veteran
    Builder

Ahhh, gear reduction drive. I just not a fan of that, to me the more parts, the more chance of something going bad. To each their own. Good luck with your build!