Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

MacOS Install Drivers for Silicon Labs USB / BlackBox X32

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Todd Pace, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Todd Pace

Todd Pace New
    Builder

I've build a cmc plasma table with rack drives of x, y1, and y2 and acme drive of z. I've connected via the interface and been able to jog but sporadically. I, disconnected the interface and been able to connect via usb sporadically twice, set grbls, jog machine, set zeros, limits, and calibrate all three axis. but now can't reconnect control software with black box controller. I've gone through the trouble shooting and disconnected everything except the usb without successful reconnection. I'm at a loss of what todo at this point. every attempt to reconnect via every route possible gives same log entry. any suggestions for this newbie.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Todd Pace

Todd Pace New
    Builder

hey peter, great news. After no help from team apple yesterday I turned to tube and found instructions on how to unlock extension on mac computers. It requires going into the startup disk and changing security setting. Was very easy and tutorial was step by step. thanks again for being patient with this old man newbie. ( I still think your a computer ninja) upload_2024-4-10_12-32-0.png

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Not a Mac one though :)

Really glad you found something - and it wasn't a dead BlackBox

Please do just in case though - I am in a unique position seeing all the support and returns etc and the stats for off brand PSUs does show trouble in your future

5. Peter Van Der Walt

So I know where to point other Mac Users:
    This one?

6. Todd Pace

Todd Pace New
    Builder

the saga continues. I finding that each time the ob control is turned off, the recurring error message returns and no ability to reconnect. problems doesn't appear to be op control software, but the usb driver. finding many other complaints ti silicon labs having the same problem especially with the newer mac os systems ( 14.1 and up) the driver is three years old and hasn't been updated to newer software. plan to test with ibm version tonight just to verify that its not the black box.

7. Todd Pace

Todd Pace New
    Builder

update, I removed the usb and connected the interface which works perfectly with the black box. ob control soft ware works great when it connects, which is not currently. I believe the problem lies with the usb driver being old and not compatible or stable with the newer mac os soft ware. Does open builds have anything in the works to update this driver or ?

8. Todd Pace

Todd Pace New
    Builder

Breakthrough!
    Fyi for those running mac os. Mac latest os upgrade, sonoma 14.4.1 came with new bugs that prevent reliable connections between control software ti black box via usb. Apple hasn’t released a new patch to fix this yet, so if you are running an early os DONT upgrade to 14.4.1 yet. Earlier os system work reliably

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

Awesome find thanks!

10. Todd Pace

Todd Pace New
    Builder

the saga has continued unfortunately . Ive loaded and booted now with a MacBook pro running sonoma 14.4.1, and IMAC running 13.6, and a window pc running window 11. each connects to the black box successfully one, or twice, then no responds. the log shows the same error on each, no firmware found yada yada yada. It's as though the driver is a single use only then craps out. Deleting and reinstalling however on each machine didn't restore the connection.

11. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

check all wiring and psu and fans, seems more a like a heat related wire connection break to me.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Agreed. Drivers is a once of thing. Installed and done.

13. Peter Van Der Walt

@Terry Smith from Mac Compatability
    @Elliott simmons (from) X32 Drivers
    @Dov Rosenberg from Trying to connect to Blackbox x32 with Macbook issues
    and @Todd Pace from above

Would you guys be able to assist with a test for me?

I've added some code into OpenBuilds CONTROL v1.0.374 to test if it makes connecting to the BlackBox from Mac any easier

Download and install the DMG from https://github.com/OpenBuilds/OpenB...wnload/v1.0.374/OpenBuildsCONTROL-1.0.374.dmg

Give it a test and see if it works better with Mac now?

Note I tested it with the default Apple driver (device named usbserial-001) but not really with the Silabs driver (device names SLAB_USBUART or similar) too much. You can uninstall the Silicon Labs driver

Would be better if it works well with the built in driver for everyone then we can skip that extra driver install step

#13 Peter Van Der Walt, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024