Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

First engraver project

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by bobcio04, Mar 5, 2022.

1. bobcio04

bobcio04 New
    Builder

Hi, I’m working on my first low-budget CNC project. It’s laser engraver. I started doing a project in CAD. So i have a few question about construction. The photo below shows the construction of the Y axis. Will this consttruction be okay, with such small stresses that will arise there? Two V gantry’s and acme screw in central point.
    And next question is about material for side profiles for X axis. I planned use 3mm aluminum sheet or 8mm plexi. Which will be the better option when it comes to the stiffness of the structure? Dimensions of Sides profiles is 300mm height and 100mm width and connected by one 20x40 V Slot profile.

Suggestions of other structures are also welcome

thanks a lot of for reply

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you're trying to go cheap you might consider more of a free arm build Simple Cnc System (arduino Grbl) | OpenBuilds David Bunch gives credence to this style with his Horizontal Cantilever or Vertical Diode Laser Engraver | OpenBuilds but even his is based on the much simpler A different kind of build. - Build Blogs and Kit Reviews - RCM&E Home of Model Flying Forums.

You should also give consideration to belts rather than screws. Belted systems move faster which is more appropriate for laser systems. Acro systems are fairly economical. If you're more the branch out on your own type you might also draw some inspiration from one of my designs. Overall, don't fear adding the extra NEMA 17. They're cheap and often cheaper than adding a whole lot of extra extrusion trying to avoid them.