Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC ESS Controls System

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Jacob Lotter, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jacob Lotter

Jacob Lotter Well-Known
    Builder

Jacob Lotter published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Looking good Jacob! I would like to accomplish something similar, as the budget permits... I like those ethernet connections to the drivers. So most of this was purchased from the same place?

3. Jacob Lotter

Jacob Lotter Well-Known
    Builder

yup almost everything you see there was purchased from that site, minus the contactor, breakers, dinn psu's, terminal blocks. They have a great selection of parts, but the shipping department has the IQ of toast. It was a pricey upgrade, but nothing some overtime can't fix, in my case at least.

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Nice progress! Regarding "With the addition to larger 425 oz/in steppers (which I am still not certain will work yet, crossing my fingers)", I finally finished my Y axis upgrades using the liner rails that you suggested and 1/2 lead screws. It took some doing (a lot adjusting and a few shims in key spots) but I was able to run a job last night using the og nema 23s and the xpro that came with the workbee. It even held up to some 19mm DOC, 1mm WOC @ 2500mm/min speeds. I have no intention of using them, but I havent ordered the new motors and drives yet. Basically the point I'm getting at is those 425oz should be more than enough. Cant wait for you to finish!

Michael.M likes this.
  5. Jacob Lotter

Jacob Lotter Well-Known
    Builder

Thats a relief to hear! i will be installing tge controls box to the cnc today and tomorrow! update should be quick.

sharmstr likes this.
  6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Are you going to be running the bigger motor on the Z axis? I think I was concerned about the extra weight, but then I remembered the dual linear rails makes the cbeam stronger.

7. Jacob Lotter

Jacob Lotter Well-Known
    Builder

Yup i have the larger motor on the z axis as well. I decided to sell the motors, and controller to recoup some costs haha. These motors sure are strong, need to be extra careful of crashes as these will probably have the strength to rip the gantries apart.

8. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Smart. Good to hear that the motors are working out.