Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

1510 Workbee Modified

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jacob Lotter, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Jacob Lotter

Jacob Lotter Well-Known
    Builder

Jacob Lotter published a new build:

Read more about this build...

sharmstr likes this.
  2. sharmstr

sharmstr Veteran
    Builder

Awesome! I partially disassembled my 1510 yesterday to deal with the wheels. During that 2 hour time, I told myself I needed to figure out a better solution. This looks like its it! Do you have the cad files? I have a Tormach so machining everything isnt an issue.

Also, am I correct in thinking that you added the linear rails to the top and bottom of the X gantry, but only to the tops of the Ys?

#2 sharmstr, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  3. Jacob Lotter

Jacob Lotter Well-Known
    Builder

I actually did this on pen and paper but I can draw something up in a jiffy.

and Yes only to the top of the y's as I did not see a big point in doing so, as it sees little vertical torque unlike the x axis. Each side has 2 blocks which are spaced on each side of the gantry plate, which isn't seen easily.

4. sharmstr

sharmstr Veteran
    Builder

Great!

I'm also thinking that if I'm going to do this, I might look into ditching the belts. But it seems like they are working out for you okay.

5. Jacob Lotter

Jacob Lotter Well-Known
    Builder

I will be ditching the belts shortly!! as they are almost as annoying. My plan was to use a normal 10mm or 12mm threaded rod. and make out a low profile nut similar to the ones on the screw machines. Slot one side to take out the backlash and then go nuts. Screw wears down? take out more lash. Screw REALLY wears down? Just buy a new peice of threaded rod. They are pretty cheap anyways. I'll post that when I get it underway in the next coming weeks.

6. sharmstr

sharmstr Veteran
    Builder

That's great news. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Let me know if I can help with anything, including the machining.