Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

WorkBee CNC build - My honest opinion, tips and help

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by T4Concepts, Feb 6, 2018.

1. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

T4Concepts published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Camvec and fwm891 like this.
  2. Bad Sequel

Bad Sequel Well-Known
    Builder

:thumbsup:

Keep posting, man. I've been drooling over the WorkBee kit for a while, interested in knowing how it turns out for you.

3. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Bad Sequel :thumbsup:

It's my intention to cover my entire build, hopefully some people may find something of interest. When I was researching cnc machines and I finally narrowed my search down to the WorkBee, I couldn't find any close-up images of how things were assembled. You can also see in the close-up images the actual quality of the parts and how they're designed to fit. I'm certainly not the right person to compare various cnc machines as this is my first one, but reading other builds on various forums, I can deduce that this is a top quality cnc machine.

In my opinion you can't go far wrong if you choose the WorkBee as your starter cnc machine. And if you're in the UK, Ryan at Ooznest is very helpful and their customer service is superb :thumbsup: a rare thing these days !

My other goal for covering the WorkBee build, is a 'help' type of thing ................. experienced forum members 'can keep an eye on me' ! :rolleyes: If I make any mistakes I'm sure they'll be there to point them out. In turn this should be helpful to other members thinking of purchasing one of these kits.

Many thanks to all the other members who pushed the 'Like' button ......... appreciated ;)

TURK

Crockett101 and fwm891 like this.
  4. fwm891

fwm891 Well-Known
    Builder

Well I've ordered a Workbee full kit and will no doubt cover that later this year when it arrives. This is a great thread and I'm waiting on further info with the build and running...

Camvec likes this.
  5. CNCKitCompany

Builder

Really nice details on your build TURK. Thank you for sharing the success and the trouble.

6. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks fwm891 :thumbsup: You certainly won't regret having bought the WorkBee my friend. Why 'later this year' ? ....... or shouldn't I ask :blackeye: Loads more information will follow, I just completed the build, so at my desktop PC with a cupa right now ! I prepared my old laptop for running the Universal G-Code Sender, and I've still got to put a spoiler board on the WorkBee ......... then it should be all systems GO ! :D

Thank you so much sir ;) I do enjoy sharing, and unlike others I tend to show my incompetences also, just as a 'don't do like me' sort of thing. There's always a right way to do things but also the wrong way ! You have to look into user manuals, they're always written by people in the know, so something's may be obvious to them, but for a total newbie, it isn't always that clear. Ryan is always a phone call away anyway, and is always happy to help you out, I'm pretty sure he knows me quite well now ! :ROFL:

Anyway chaps, glad you liked the write-up.

TURK

fwm891 likes this.
  7. fwm891

fwm891 Well-Known
    Builder

Ordered but won't be sent until early March - give me time to make a strong support to a) do the build on and b) use it on after. I have a Makita 0700 C router at present but thinking about getting a water cooled spindle (1.5 Kw) - any good/bad ones out there?
    Looking at spindles on flea bay and elsewhere, - I want one with an ER20 Colet fitting as there seem a wider range of cutter shaft sizes.

8. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

Read on one of Ryan's threads that a water cooled spindle would be too heavy for this type of machine :( wouldn't mind one myself. I've also got a variable speed ( 900-6000rpm ) Proxxon BFW 40/E that I would like to use, it's part of my Milling machine. I'd also like to know if anybody has had success in using a water cooled spindle on their WorkBee.

TURK

9. fwm891

fwm891 Well-Known
    Builder

From what I've read so far the 2.2 Kw spindles are too heavy but the 1.5Kw are OK - just need to check the weight of the unit before ordering - will email Ryan and get his opinion...

10. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

Oh, I see that's interesting. Let us know how you get on please, I could be interested in the 1.5Kw version if that's the case. No doubt you've already discovered the limits of using routers ! Minimum choice when it comes to collet's ! And the noise levels !!! Spindles are far quieter.

TURK

11. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Thanks for the build log! My apologies again for the issues you did have, but should be all sorted now :) Really appreciate the honest review, i will take the feedback on-board when i make changes to the manual. And thanks for the little tips and trick.

Ryan

12. fwm891

fwm891 Well-Known
    Builder

Ryan has contacted me to say keep to air cooled spindles as the water cooled ones are too heavy - there are 1.2 Kw air cooled spindles

13. Camvec

Camvec New
    Builder

Cool I'm so chuffed I'm not on my own, I will definitely be tapping you for some tips and tricks as you go along, I'll be ready to build mine as soon as my workshop is complete, prob about 2 weeks. (I've got mine here and still in the box and I'm itching to start it but really wanna do things right first time and not rush my workshop.

One thing I'm not sure of, is what post processor do I use? I got vcarve pro and 1500x1500 full kit

14. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

@Camvec Hopefully you can get the workshop finished soon :) For post processor, G-Code (mm) .tap

Ryan

Camvec likes this.
  15. pauna

pauna New
    Builder

Hello

By the end of the month I'm going to order a WorkBee CNC Mechanical Kit, but the dimensions I want to be 1700X1700mm

How do you think X axis and y axis will be loaded?

16. fwm891

fwm891 Well-Known
    Builder

Is that frame size or working area?

17. pauna

pauna New
    Builder

The frame is 1700X1700 mm, while the working area is 1500x1500 mm

18. Camvec

Camvec New
    Builder

Thanks Ryan

19. CNCKitCompany

Builder

Hi @pauna

The WorkBee is built based on the OpenBuilds C-Beam. According to their store, the sizes only go up to 1500mm. I think Ryan at Ooznest, the maker of the WorkBee, produces his own C-Beam in the UK, so he may be able to get some custom cut that would be longer. In addition to the C-Beam, you will need to extend the belt length, drag chain, and cables.

The X axis span may need some stiffening. I've not worked with that long of a C-beam yet to know its strength and rigidity.

20. pauna

pauna New
    Builder

У меня был разговор с Ooznest, они согласились бы со мной отправить мне измененную ось X и ось Z 1700 мм.

Но у них нет опытной версии 1700 мм ... наверное, мне сначала придется работать с WorkBee 1700

Из-за этой конструкции дополнительная магистраль не может быть зафиксирована на оси z

Attached Files:

21. fwm891

fwm891 Well-Known
    Builder

Google translate - accuracy down to Google:
    I had a conversation with Ooznest, they would agree with me to send me the modified X axis and the Z axis of 1700 mm.

But they do not have an experimental version of 1700 mm ... probably, I will first have to work with the WorkBee 1700

Because of this design, the additional trunk can not be fixed on the z axis

22. pauna

pauna New
    Builder

Sorry. Someone I thought I wrote in English :(

23. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Ryan :thumbsup:

A missing spacer or screw is hardly a disaster mate, with a customer service like you have in place it's really hardly noticeable.
    There's a bit more to follow yet.

TURK

24. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

Some of you may of noticed that I have changed my 'Build Photo' ......... that's because I've just updated the build progress.
    The last couple of day's have been rather interesting to say the least.

I'm kind of stuck on something right now, unfortunately as I don't know the correct terminology right now, I'm not even sure I know how to ask the question !? o_O

I'm going to go through the entire setup again, and see if I can workout where I've gone wrong, It's obvious to me that something isn't quite right !

TURK

#24 T4Concepts, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    fwm891 likes this.
  25. fwm891

fwm891 Well-Known
    Builder

Great update on the build thread Turk. I've watch the videos they're good my hang-up at the moment is on software.

I've bought software for other things before only to find that there's a better one cheaper or free. I've been playing with Inkscape but some reviews say it's fine for printing and drafting but not so good with machining. Until I get my WorkBee kit and put it together I won't know.
    Cut2D seems to be part of Vcarve (pro and desktop) but I don't want to download either trial version until I have something to test them on.

Be interested to know what software 'chain' others are using with the WorkBee or OX...

Welbeck likes this.
  26. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

27. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Ryan,

I'll take a look at that :thumbsup:

The first thing it did was to go to Top Right ( or Bottom Right ) if you prefer. I 'jogged' it to Front Left, then reset axis as 'Home'. Think that's the correct wording.
    I'll spend the rest of the evening trying to suss it out mate.

TURK

28. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah, I know what you mean fwm891. Free or Paid ?

I'm trying the free software first, from what I've seen so far, the Free alternatives can do pretty much what I need to do right now.
    So, SketchUp Make 2017 > SketchUCam > Universal G-Code Sender

I'm not really that interested in paying what amounts, to the cost of the machine just for software if it's not required.
    Specially at this stage when I wouldn't even know a 'good' software package from another !

Glad you liked the update my friend :thumbsup:

TURK

fwm891 likes this.
  29. dave dennett

Builder

looks great :D i went a slightly different route during the build because the 'room' well, a 5ft x 5ft storage area at the end of my balcony won't give me good access at the back, so everything - home point, motors, electronics is at the front. personally (and this is my only quibble about the kit), i think ooznest should supply better switches, the switches supplied may be functional but are better suited to 3D printers IMO. i replaced mine with V-156-1C25 switches on my own custom printed mounting points.

Should be able to do it's first cut this weekend when i finish building the bench in the 'cnc cupboard' and pick up the sacrificial board and base :D

[​IMG]

fwm891 likes this.
  30. fwm891

fwm891 Well-Known
    Builder

Looks good Dave,

Out of interest what spindle have you mounted on your machine? Did it come with a VFD as a package?