Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

WorkBee 1510 gantry height

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by KEITHABEAR, Oct 8, 2018.

1. KEITHABEAR

KEITHABEAR Well-Known
    Builder

I just finished my build and with the 3/4 mdf spoiler board the Z axes doesn't have much up and down movement .

2. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

It should have about 1.75" according to the product description. It looks like the smaller models do not use the 2080 in the bottom framing and use 2040 instead which gives them more height in the z. I could be wrong though. I am just going off the pictures.

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Builder

The problem is that the bit length is eating into the 1.75". There are a couple of possible solutions here. The most beneficial would be to reverse the Z-axis. This will give you the full 1.75" to work with (2.125" if you mount the bottom axis plate flush with the bottom of the X-gantry plate). You will need to drill a few holes in the plates to make it work though.

Workbee Z reversed.jpg

The other option would be dropping the bed. This is probably the easiest method and will give you about 1.7" workable assuming the bit extends half way into the working area. Note you will need to provide proper support under the bed to keep it from sagging.

Workbee Lowered Bed.jpg

A combination of the two methods will give you even more depth, upwards of 3.74" but don't expect all of it to be usable simply because of extension limitations of the fixed rail/movable spindle method used in the reversed Z approach shown above.

Attached Files:

GrayUK, Mark Carew and MaryD like this.
  4. KEITHABEAR

KEITHABEAR Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the suggestions, I was planning to add a dust shoe and with the low height of the gantry I didn't know how I was going to make it work