Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

High Z Mod for Lead CNC

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Mark Carew published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Ariel Yahni likes this.
  2. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

Cool. So now you can mill out that Han Solo in carbonite bust.

Mark Carew and Rick 2.0 like this.
  3. RoosterTX

RoosterTX Well-Known
    Builder

This is pretty neat. From a product management perspective, I love to see upgrades rolling out to something I bought. You make a big investment in a machine, it's good to know that it has a future of possible new capabilities. I can't at this moment think of a project I need it for, but give me a day or two...

Also will be interested in seeing some best practice type videos for milling such deep materials... feed rates, good bits, experiences with varying materials, etc. Removing alot of material will always take a lot of time, but with a long, flexing bit it will be further slowed (ref the above mentioned carbonite bust...) :)

Overall, very cool upgrade and I'm excited to see what the community does with it.

Barry Cruver, MaryD and Mark Carew like this.
  4. Batcrave

Batcrave Journeyman
    Builder

Little known fact: Carbonite©®™ is actually a proprietary Imperial formulation of machinable foam. Designed for maximized cutting speeds with minimal tool flex, it was originally intended as insulation on TIE fighters, but has since shown promise in preserving fresh produce and meat products and "meat" "products", as demonstrated by Hutt "Meat" "Product" Transport Lines.

-Bats
    (NOTE: Hutt "Meat" "Product" Transport Lines is probably not a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hutt Trucking, but may be a division of Hutt Machine Embroidery)

Giarc and Mark Carew like this.
  5. Mark Carew

We've already done it and he's waiting to be painted :) Will share pics soon

6. Mark Carew

Same here RoosterTX and thank you for the good idea on the "best practice type videos" these will go a long way on showing the community the capabilities of these mod.

7. Mark Carew

lol Bats you always crack me up man :thumbsup: thanks

8. Gofertpc

Gofertpc New
    Builder

I ordered the mod. I also ordered 2 of the C Beam end mounts and screws just to cover the extra C Beam for a more finished look. I have a question on the build design. Is there a mechanical reason for having the motor on the top instead of the middle C Beam? It just seams aesthetically that having the drag chain that high just looks strange.

9. Mark Carew

Thank you for your support! :thumbsup:
    Absolutely not we are testing for extremes but mechanically you will have a better center of force lower and closer to where the cutting is taking place, so by all means move it down. I think you will really appreciate how stout this axis is and I look forward to seeing all the different combinations the community comes up with utilizing this new High Z configuration.

Gofertpc likes this.
  10. Gofertpc

Gofertpc New
    Builder

High Z Mod received and installed. Used it tonight for the first time to create my new spoil board. While I have no current intention to use the full height capacity it is nice to have it if I do. One of the drawbacks to the Lead 1010 is it's limited clearance height and use of a 1/2 inch spoil board. The Mod allows me to have a permanently mounted 3/4 inch MDF base with an additional 3/4 MDF spoil board with the T Nuts installed on top of the base. I also changed out my Dewalt router for a Makita. Having the high Z makes bit changes so mush easier since you can raise the axis considerable higher t see under the dust shoe. Of important note - this thing is strong as hell. Rigidity is phenomenal with two C Channels on the X Axis and two X axis gantries. I am extremely impressed so far and can't wait to put it though it's paces. I did mount my motor on the center channel instead of the top channel.