Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Want to change y axis belt drive to ballscrew on workbee 1510

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Aaron L Hatley, Oct 14, 2019.

?

Belt Drive or Ball Screw

1. Belt

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Screw

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Aaron L Hatley

Builder

I am having issues with the consistency of the belt drive on the y axis I believe I overtensioned the belt but have realized the likelyhood of inconsistent results due to belt stretching throughout a long run... in reading a lot of different forums I think that ball screw is the way but am wondering if 1500 mm travel is too far for 8mm diameter screw... and how would you attach to the y axis drive plates without modifying the plates... if you are going to modify plates just build new ones right?! I am hoping someone else has done this and it is easier than I am thinking... otherwise its build new plates for the y axis drive assembly.
    Any help would be awesome... thank you

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

A few of us have done it. My conversion starts half way down the build page: Shawn's Workbee 1510

There's also a few different options to control whip if you go with 8mm screws:

There was also a 3d printed piece that you mount in the c-beam, but I cant find it atm. Do a search for screw whip here and you'll see a few of the options I'm talking about.

3. Aaron L Hatley

Builder

Great video, thank you.