Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Voxel OX with Helix Gear Z Transmission (single z motor)

Discussion in '3D printers' started by thehans, Jun 2, 2018.

1. thehans

thehans New
    Builder

thehans published a new build:

Read more about this build...

David Bunch and Anthony Bolgar like this.
  2. David Bunch

David Bunch Veteran
    Builder

These openscad files seem to be missing when I run the assembly.scad file.
    ../FunctionalOpenSCAD/functional.scad
    ../FunctionalOpenSCAD/double_fillet.scad
    ../FunctionalOpenSCAD/webbing.scad
    ../Libraries/bearing.scad
    BOLTS.scad
    RetainingRings.scad

Think I found all but the BOLTS.scad file from these 2 locations listed below. Do you have the web links for the proper location of these files? Also the bearing.scad & stepper.scad files in the ./mockup folder did not seem to work, so I moved all the files to the same folder as the assembly.scad & changed the Use <> lines in the .scad files. Thanks for the interesting design to look at.
    thehans/FunctionalOpenSCAD

OpenSCAD HD Stepper Motors and Gearbox mockups by thehans

3. thehans

thehans New
    Builder

Hi David,

Yeah I was in a bit of a rush to just put some files out and I didn't really make the include situation in my scripts particularly portable. The links you found for FunctionalOpenSCAD and the stepper are correct. However, the stepper.scad should be included within zip, in the mockup subdirectory(you might have downloaded an earlier zip revision without it?). The BOLTS library is written by another person and can be found here: jreinhardt/BOLTS although if I recall correctly I only used it for some bolt details on steppers with integrated gearbox. Retaining ring is also only relevant for geared stepper mockup. A geared stepper is not part of this model, so those includes should be safe to ignore.

I'll work on making the includes more manageable or at least explaining them in comments maybe. I wasn't sure if anyone was really trying the scripts in the first place, so thanks for the feedback. I've been building up many of these incuded scripts over time to be generally useful in different projects, but I'm starting to think I need to give them all a single github repository to live together since the inter-dependencies and revisions are getting hard to manage.

Is there any warning or error you get from OpenSCAD(besides missing includes) after downloading the FunctionalOpenSCAD files? If an include is missing but the code doesn't call any of the modules or functions from it, then it shouldn't cause any problem.

4. David Bunch

David Bunch Veteran
    Builder

openscad usually gives a warning when something is missing. The times I noticed when it does not give a warning, I knew something was missing by what was not rendered. That would be hard to tell if you did not know what the render was supposed to look like. Thanks for looking into this. Not sure I will use any of your ideas, but did want to see what the openscad outputs looked like.

5. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Very cool Z axis transmission. I have seen something similar done with belts but not gears. I guess you don't have to worry about backlash as the Z axis is always moving in one direction,