Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Vox Solid State

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by CharlieShimota, Dec 22, 2017.

1. CharlieShimota

CharlieShimota Well-Known
    Builder

CharlieShimota published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Michael.M and David the swarfer like this.
  2. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

Looks good.

3. CharlieShimota

Builder

Thank you. Things are progressing, slowly by surely.

4. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Glad to hear that you found out using a portable drill isn't a good idea for tapping. If you should ever try tapping with your finished CNC you will find that it's critical to match the feedrate to the spindle speed and when to change spindle direction to come out - it's a tricky business especially on blind holes. I think the Tapmatic head or similar is an option and you will need a large spindle, but iunless you have a lot of holes to tap, manual has to be the choice particularly on our DIY CNC machines.
    Anyway, good luck finishing your project.

5. CharlieShimota

Builder

Thanks for the tip!

6. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hey I read what you said about the antibacklash nuts and the countersunk holes. Nice work milling the standoffs down on the end but I want to warn you that if you're using a design that didn't account for the countersunk hole, you may have alignment issues with your leadscrews. While assembling my Sphinx I noticed the same thing but kyo's build manual didn't call for any modification. If anything, you may have to add a couple washers under the standoffs. I ended up 3d printing small rings to basically just fill those countersunk holes in the delrin nut blocks.

7. CharlieShimota

Builder

Hi Michael, Thanks for the heads up but I checked out the alignment before hand and everything is right on. What a coincidence, I was just admiring your build the other day because I was looking for someone who had used a computer case for the electronics! I'm also using the DQ542MA drivers with the high-torque steppers, so I may have to pick your mind when I get to that stage. Like did you mount your bob in a PCI slot and are you using the computer's power supply for the 5 volts? Nice job!

8. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran

So I ended up using these db9 connectors for the stepper motor cables instead of using the aviation connectors most people use. I did this because I found these dual db9 breakout boards that take up those pci slots. It worked out really well because I didn't have to modify the case. I'll send you links when I get home.

Which 5v are you talking about? My controller doesn't require a breakout board if that's what you're asking.

9. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran

Are you using a mach 3 controller?

10. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran

If you need 5v and you're using a host PC like me, tapping into a spare 5v line is no problem as long as all your components share a common ground.

11. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran

My setup is basically an Arduino uno based CNC controller embedded in the host PC.

12. CharlieShimota

Builder

Oh, so you put the electronics for the cnc in the computer you're using to control it? Is there enough room for everything?

13. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran

So I ended up receiving two computers from someone that was getting rid of them. One was a small dell with an older i7 920 and the other was a really old gaming PC with a large steel case. I ended up removing the junk out of the gaming pc and installed all the smaller hardware from the dell so there was plenty of room. I'm still not completely satisfied with it but it works for now.

14. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That is brilliant. I wish I would have thought of that.

15. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

Hey just saw your build. Looks great. Really like the material you are working with as well. Is it similar to Corian?

16. CharlieShimota

Builder

Yeah, it's the same thing. I was going to let you know that I have all axis's moving and the holes in the plates for the sensors were right on! Nice job on designing those.

Savvas likes this.