Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

VFD Spindle Control via OpenBuilds BlackBox Controller and Software

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Josh Lambeth, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Raul Rabaça

Builder

I understand and totally agree with you!
    I'll try to explain my doubts to them the best I can. If something I cannot explain from the BBX32, I'll be back to you.

The Manual is crazy...432 pages with thousands of parameters and 11 macros.
    It will be ok, I'll do it :):).

Thank again

2. Svechnikov Workshop

Builder

Thanks for the wiring instructions. I have the same equipment, but on 220 volts. Everything starts and stops via commands. I have a problem with the speed stability. When setting any speed, the rpm goes up and down by 100-300 rpm. This happens steadily over time, in waves. Also, there are questions about the stable dialing of revolutions from zero to the set values. The start and stop speed is set to 8 seconds, but the spindle slowly gains 3000-4000 rpm in 8-10 seconds, then accelerates to the set values in a couple of seconds. It should do this smoothly. Is it possible that this is a wiring issue? The VFD and the power supply to the BlackBox X32 connected in parallel to the same socket. The wire cross section is 1mm

#122 Svechnikov Workshop, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  3. Svechnikov Workshop

Builder

The VFD supplies a floating voltage of +-5v to the spindle, causing the rpm to go up and down

4. Svechnikov Workshop

Builder

The 0-10V signal from the BlackBox to the VFD is stable, no spikes

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Then best contact the VFD vendor for them to support their product :)

Failures caused by faulty VFDs, wiring, etc might void warranty on BlackBox

Svechnikov Workshop likes this.
  6. Svechnikov Workshop

Builder

Yes, it looks very much like I bought a defective VFD. Lol. No complaints about the BlackBox

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. WOPR73

WOPR73 New
    Builder

How do you control the spindle speed via the BB controller? I can turn the spindle on and off, but it always spins at 24000 no matter what V-Carve Pro says. BB Controller says 100% Speed with no way to change it. Also trying to change the speed via VFD knob once started by the BB controller has no change. What am I missing?

8. Peter Van Der Walt

• VFD correctly setup up? (Configured to use 0-10v input?)
    • Grbl Settings > $30 Spindle Max RPM set to 24000?

sharmstr likes this.
  9. danielj3000

Builder

Hi all,
    Has anyone connected the Folinn VFD BD600 series to the black box?

10. Peter Van Der Walt

BlackBox provides the industry standard 0-10v signal. Rest can be found in VFD manual, or from your VFD vendor. Make sure to either go with a popular VFD so you can lean on others past work or a good Vendor that can tell you how to wire and set up Their product

See docs:blackbox-x32:connect-vfd [OpenBuilds Documentation]

11. danielj3000

Builder

Thanks Peter. I'm awaiting a response from Vendor... let's see where it goes.
    Here are procedures on wiring to 0-10V control. 1.5/2.2kW Spindle and VFD – Maker Hardware at the vendors end. I followed and followed the x32 documentation but spindle doesn't engage. The BD600 VFD does however show 400Hz and 10v when I run M3 S24000

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Maybe forgot the Enable jumper wire (or wired via Relay1)? Along with setting Start/Stop source in parameters?
    Sounds like Freq Source is done but not Run/Start/Stop. Source.

See other VFDs writeups linked in our docs and transpose the similarities. VFDs all the same but different terminal labels and settings parameters to figure out from the manual.

13. danielj3000

Builder

Hi Peter,
    Hopefully the vendor can help with 'Start/Stop' parameters. I've had a good look at the manual but can't work it out personally.
    Is there a reason not to (or to) wire thru Relay 1?
    I'm getting to the point it might be best to by the Huanyang vfd as this seems a lot more intuitive. VFD Spindle Control via OpenBuilds BlackBox Controller and Software

14. Peter Van Der Walt

For good VFDs you just need a 0-10v signal, rest can all be set from parameters. Can use Relay instead of Jumper wire with BlackBox X32 v1.3 and newer only, but only if you want to to.

15. danielj3000

Builder

Hi Peter,
    I got a response (have posted below) but am kind of at a stand still beyond this.

When I wire to their instructions,
    • I plug the VFD in at the wall socket and the spindle starts up.
    • M3 (tool on) turns the spindle off
    • m5 (tool off ) turns the spindle on.
    • I can't control the spindle speed at all.
    Any ideas?

This is the response from Makerstore.

Hi Daniel,
    Thank you for reaching out to us.
    I understand you're having some trouble getting your spindle to run correctly using the OpenBuilds Blackbox X32 with the Folinn BD600 VFD.

We don't stock the Blackbox X32 but I got some information that may help you and listed it below.
    Configuration Instructions
    For the X32, we found this information in their forum:
    "RELAY 1 terminals on the X32, COM to the DCM terminal on the VFD and NO to the FOR terminal on the VFD. When this closes the VFD will run at the min speed set by PD011 unless the 0-10 volt signal is calling for more.
    0-10V terminals on the X32, GND to ACM terminal on the VFD and 0-10 to VI terminal on the VFD.
    "
    HY Settings with the BlackBox X32

Based on the information we have, here's how you can set up your VFD with the Blackbox X32:
    1. Wiring the Relay Output:
    Step 1: Connect the COM terminal on RELAY 1 of the X32 to the DCM terminal on the VFD.
    Step 2: Connect the NO terminal on RELAY 1 of the X32 to the S1 terminal on the VFD.
    Explanation: When the relay closes, the VFD will run at the minimum speed of 133.33Hz unless the 0-10V signal calls for more speed.
    2. Wiring the 0-10V Signal:
    Step 1: Connect the GND terminal on the 0-10V output of the X32 to the ACM terminal on the VFD.
    Step 2: Connect the 0-10V terminal on the 0-10V output of the X32 to the AI1 terminal on the VFD.
    Explanation: This connection allows you to control the spindle speed through the software.
    Further Assistance
    If these steps don't resolve the issue, I recommend reaching out to OpenBuilds support for further assistance with the Blackbox X32.

Kind Regards,

Daniel
    Maker Store Team

16. Peter Van Der Walt

So if they don't support 2 wire mode like the less cheap VFDs, then wire the relay as suggested above too

17. danielj3000

Builder

I'm sorry to sound dumb on this Peter but I'm one of the less technically proficient on here... Are you referring to this comment?
    Can use Relay instead of Jumper wire with BlackBox X32 v1.3 and newer only, but only if you want to to.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Along with

Yes

Its always been an option. On GOOD VFDs just not needed. Thus the mention, check with your vendor if they support the good methods (Huanyuanh, H100, Most YL620s, even AE200 series VFDs all suffices with just 0-10v. If yours doesn't go for the relay instead of the jumper wire

19. Adam Jelinek

Builder

Need a little help on adding my hy vfd. I set all my settings in the vfd and in grbl as instructed. I wires the 0-10v on my x32 to the corresponding terminals on the vfd. I'm trying to chexk the rpm to fine tune it so I put in m3s10000 and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong that my spindle won't turn on?

20. Xander1983

Builder

Make sure there is a space between m3 s10000. Are you loading a code to test with or just trying to start the spindle alone?

21. Adam Jelinek

Builder

Just trying to start the spindle alone. Even clicking turn tool on won't turn it on

22. Adam Jelinek

Builder

Got it figured out. I needed to ground my black box

23. Adam Jelinek

Builder

I just did a spindle upgrade and I'm having a problems with my probe and I do t understand why when I never touched it. So anyways when I connect the prob it lights up like it's touching when it's not. Any idea what's going on.

24. Peter Van Der Walt

Some GND to AC Earth short in your system that went unnoticed till your add an earthed spindle. Process of elimination to find it, then remove the short: XYZ Probe Plus with VFDs and other ground-loop inducing components

(note the VFD being earthed is correct. But AC earth and DC GND should be seperate. Somewhere else (other than the correct earth on the spindle body) you have a short between DC GND and AC Earth. Could be inside a PC, inside a computer monitor, bad PSU, badly mounted endstops etc)

Adam Jelinek likes this.