Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

HY Settings with the BlackBox X32

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by that-jim, Nov 21, 2022.

1. that-jim

that-jim Journeyman
    Builder

I received my new Black box X32 the other day and set it up to work with my machine. I have a Huanyang HY series VFD and thought I would share these settings because there were a few things that were slightly different from the 4XBB.

Note the items that call out your spindle these need to be set to the electrical specifications for your spindle, the values shown for these items below are just an example.

VFD parameters
    PD01 = 1 this uses external terminals (FOR) to set the run command.
    PD02 = 1 this set the source of the operating frequency to the external source 0-10
    PD005 = 400 enter the max frequency of your spindle.
    PD004 = 400 enter the base frequency of your spindle. You need to set PD05 first.
    PD006-010 These parameters define the torque curve, I used the default settings.
    PD011 = 150 this is your safeguard to not run the spindle below a min speed. I wanted 9000 min RPMs so I set this to 150. (150 x 60hz = 9000 RMPs)
    PD014 = 5 Acceleration (spin up) time in seconds test to verify
    PD015 = 5 Deceleration (spin down) time in seconds test to verify
    PD044 = 2 this default, FOR input to run spindle
    PD070 = 0 Analog input 0 = 0-10v
    PD072 = 400 High Analog Frequency. 400hz = 24000rpm This is the max speed for scaling, the the VFD will run at this speed when the x32 sends 10v
    PD073 = 0 min speed. This is the min speed for scaling, corresponding to 0 volts from the x32
    PD141 = 220 enter the max rated voltage for your spindle. The manual says to enter 220 for the 230v class inverter.
    PD142 = 7 enter the max rated amps for your spindle.
    PD143 = 2 Number of motor poles for your spindle.
    PD144 = 3000 Rated motor revolution. I was unable to confirm with the supplier, but a few others suggest they have this set to 3000. With this set to 3000 my 400hz spindle runs at a max speed of 24,000rpms.

grblHAL settings
    $7=0 disable spindle with 0 speed
    $30 =24000 max rpm. this scales to PD072 above
    $31= 0 min rpm. this scales to PD073 above

Wiring Connections
    RELAY 1
    terminals on the X32, COM to the DCM terminal on the VFD and NO to the FOR terminal on the VFD. When this closes the VFD will run at the min speed set by PD011 unless the 0-10 volt signal is calling for more.
    0-10V terminals on the X32, GND to ACM terminal on the VFD and 0-10 to VI terminal on the VFD.

With the above set up I have speed control of the spindle with a min spindle speed set by the VFD. If I send a speed lower than the minimum by mistake the VFD defaults to 9000 rpms.

I am sure it is possible to inner-connect relay 2 for forward M3 and reverse M4. However I did not see a need for this so I left it for a future project.

Hope this helps!

sharmstr and Mark Carew like this.
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Correct, that was an intended config - pass through NO on relay 1 to COM on relay2

3. PCAMERA

PCAMERA New
    Builder

So question, for the most part my vfd and x32 combo are working well. Problem I’m running into is when I stop the tool it’s still spinning at around 100 rpm. I’ve verified 30/31 both are set to 24000 and 0, I’m able to stop the spindle but only after I hit the stop on the vfd. Also when I do that I am unable to get the spindle to kick back on without a hard reset. I do hear the relay click when I start it in the Openbuilds software just doesn’t do anything.

Any ideas ?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Both issues point to VFD parameters needing more work. Min freq to protect spindle from too low RPM (and shut down when commanded to) as well as the start/stop

5. that-jim

that-jim Journeyman
    Builder

Can you verify that you have double check the parameters and wiring that I have above? the wiring should look like this.

HY BB CONNECTION - WITH ENABLE PIN (1).jpg
    Can you verify that the relay is opening and closing as expected with a continuity tester?

The HY VFD will do this if the connection to the FOR terminal is not opened. Opening this connection should do the same as power cycling the VFD.

6. PCAMERA

PCAMERA New
    Builder

Excellent thanks @that-jim and @Peter Van Der Walt both of your suggestions have solved my problem woot woot back in business.

thanks again guys

phillip