Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

VFD Spindle Control via OpenBuilds BlackBox Controller and Software

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Josh Lambeth, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Josh Lambeth

Builder

Here is a tutorial on how to setup your VFD and OpenBuilds BlackBox to accept control from the OpenBuilds Control Software. Follow the wiring in the video above.

*****DISCLAIMER****** These settings work and have only been confirmed to work with the 1.5Kw, 110v, 24,000RPM Spindle and HY01D511B VFD Controller! I have not tested these on any other VFD or with any other Spindles! Please take caution if using these settings with any other VFD/Spindle Combination. I take no responsibility if you fry your stuff!!!
    *****END DISCLAIMER*****

Here are the VFD Settings. Do set these in this order:
    PD013 = 8
    PD001 = 1
    PD002 = 1
    PD005 = 400
    PD004 = 400
    PD008 = 110 (This is for 110V systems. If you are using 220V set this to 220)
    PD024 = 1
    PD070 = 0
    PD072 = 400
    PD144 = 3000

Set GRBL settings in OpenBuilds Control software to the following:
    $30 = 24,000 (or whatever your maximum RPM setting is of your spindle)
    $31 = 0

Link to my Spindle and VFD: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...
    Link to AirPump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...
    Links to other info I used to help figure this out:
    https://openbuilds.com/threads/please...
    https://docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox/...

Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below!

Josh

RV6APilot and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Project Maker Builder Resident Builder

Lovely! Thank you!

3. scott stilwell

Builder

I am attempting the use the same method but my VFD looks a bit different and does not have the same labeled terminals.
    I have a FWD terminal but do not have DCM, ACM, VI terminals on my VFD.
    I do have VI1 which is - Analog Voltage Frequency Reference Input.
    So,
    Should my Jumper wire go from FWD - XGND and then I will use VI1 and GND to the Black Box?

Also, you can see I wired the spindle with 14ga AWG individual wires, but they are not not shielded. I did open up the spindle and ground the terminal to the inside spindle chassis.
    Is this wire going to cause problems or should I be using a 4 core 14ga shielded cable for the spindle power?

IMG_4033.jpg IMG_4035.jpg

4. Peter Van Der Walt

BlackBox outputs a 0-10v voltage proportional to the S-value in GCODE, scaled between the values of $30 and $31.
    On the VFD side, its harder for us to comment, as there are so many different models and configs. The section of manual above doesnt have any voltage ratings etc either. Check the manual more in depth if they have extra information, or perhaps ask the seller?

VFDs spit out a lot of nasty EMI, so shielded signal wires, and a lot of ferrite cores may be needed to tame it

5. Jaim Wolfe

Builder

This was awesome! I found the video on Youtube before seeing this post, and followed it exactly. I now have my VFD (same model) connected and controlling my spindle through my Blackbox. Thanks again!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Jaim Wolfe

Builder

I'm back, and having nothing but issues now. I had my 4 wire spindle lead run through my drag chains, and had issues where my blackbox would just stop in the middle of a job. I could hit pause then resume and it would go on, but after reading more, I pulled the cable and hung it down from above, keeping it away from all the cables running to the blackbox. The problem then seemed to actually be worse now. I couldn't go even a minute without the machine just pausing / stopping. I disconnected the blackbox to VFD control wires and set it back up to manual, which had no effect.

I've ordered 20 ferrite cores that I'm going to put on both the power in line from the wall (at the VFD), and the 4 wires heading out to the spindle. Is there anywhere else I should put these to help solve this problem? My Workbee is pretty much useless until I get this resolved. Should I also put them on all the leads coming out of my blackbox? I also ordered 115v 20Amp Noise Suppressor Power EMI Filter. Any other advice for taming these things?

#6 Jaim Wolfe, Feb 16, 2020 at 12:14 AM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 12:31 AM
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

Every cable can act as an Antenna.
    Clip one around especially USB and Power, but even motors/limits/accesory wiring can act as antennae and pickup EMI (and don't forget the computer, even mouse and keyboard cables can feed EMI into the motherboard and it can knock out the USB hubs on the motherboard for example - same hub you have the controller plugged in). With ferrites, the more the better, its cheap insurance!

Isolating the VFD may be easier: properly installed shielded cable (shield properly earthed, only on the VFD side, and VFD itself properly earthed too). A metal enclosure around the VFD helps too. Easier to curb the EMI coming from it, than to protect everything else from it