Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

The BEE and ME

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Mccourt, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I was guessing that @Alex Chambers it would be OK lefty righty so to speak but how do you adjust it back to front...Shims?? you'd nearly need a second pair of hands...

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

MDF is indeed very nasty! Still you now have nice straight edges parallel to you X and Y axes to line workpieces up against.
    Alex:):):)

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

First - check that your X axis is truly perpendicular to your spoiler board then, yes, shims.
    Alex:rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

This is true @Alex Chambers , which a week ago, didn't seem like it was ever going to happen.
    The plan now is to buy some "L" section of Aluminium, measure those holes with the "D" Nuts in on the left and front of the machine (immediately outside the working area) drill the Aluminium and bolt the fence pieces down onto the board...measure the X and Y axis at that intersection and hopefully that will remain as a constant, all I have to do then is calibrate the "Z" to the top of the workpiece (or am I talking RUBBISH again) o_O

5. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Working away in London and I cannot wait to get back to my Workbee..not the wife lol....my first project will have to be fabrication of a set of "P Clamps" for holding down workpieces.

" P " Cnc Clamps
    Considering longevity...
    I have some offcuts of Oak just lying around (hardwood) and would appreciate some data on feeds and speeds please ...Makita with 6mm Endmill..thanks in advance
    Regards
    C

#185 Colin Mccourt, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I have never had issues running a depth of half the diameter (so 3mm in this case) at 2500mm/minute in various woods. I usually run my Makita at 3 to 4 on the dial. I have also cut much deeper is woods at that speed. But, it should be a safe starting point.

7. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Your first project better be something nice for the wife... if she ever sees this thread......... :)

GrayUK and Colin Mccourt like this.
  8. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Cheers @Giarc appreciated

Giarc likes this.
  9. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I don't have 3D software :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

10. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Go get Fusion 360, it's free for non commercial and hobby use

11. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

12. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I'm just back from a working trip to the Big Smoke (London). Feeling a little jaded (a lot of driving) But I have managed to do a little work on the "P Clamps". I made a Profile toolpath for around the outside and a Pocket toolpath for the holes. It's a little late to spark up the machine tonight, but I'm hoping to get these cut tomorrow evening. I also need to order some new bits probably 6mm and 3mm for now. @Alex Chambers can you give me some links to the bits your using (for wood)

Capture.PNG
    I should have enough with 12 for now I reckon :rolleyes:

13. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Colin, you must Tag in the parts, otherwise they will fly :)
    Also, have you profiled the outside correctly, they appear to be too thin, maybe you have profiled the inside of the shape?

14. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hi @GeoffH
    It's not a finished article yet and I do need tabs, as a matter of fact, I had 2 in each of those, believe it or not, I did undo some mistakes and possibly wiped that out in doing so, thanks for pointing out my failings,:banghead:
    I find it extremely satisfying that others are able to point out things that I've omitted or missed or facets that can be improved upon.

Capture1.PNG
    I had profiled with a 6mm bit but redone the whole job with a 3mm (alone) I now have included the tabs

#194 Colin Mccourt, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    GrayUK likes this.
  15. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I'm using "Silverline" router bits from Toolstation - they are definitely at the "value" end of the market. Screwfix don't do anything as cheap - their equivalent would probably be their "Erbauer" range. I figured while I am learning, and the jobs I am doing are really "practice pieces" a quality bit would be wasted. If I need a bit less than 3mm I use some cheap end mills from China via Ebay. I also have some "V" engraving bits from the same source.
    Alex.

16. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

I use Trend S55/2X1/4STC Spiral Up-Cut Cutter 6.35mm Diameter which are very pricey but last and cut well.
    Still not sure if you are cutting the correct size part, are you copying the original P-clamp design that you linked, or have you modified it? It seems to me that you may have no tool offset, in the profile command of vcarve you should select the "Outside..." option, the "On" option, puts the tool centre on the vector without offset.

17. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Yep, I am not familiar with V-carve, but looking at your two pictures the toolpath is centred on the outline of your parts.
    Alex.

18. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I dont think I've altered anything other than group the 4 pieces to move them onto my work-piece then quad the set 4x4 then ungroup so as I can make selections..to mill on the outside of the "P" shape...where are you seeing the difference guys? (the measurement between the base of the slider pocket and the bottom of the "P"..(which comes up as approx 8mm) I'm.not overly sure what you mean here...I have set it to cut on the outside and this is the preview I'm getting.

Capture2.PNG

19. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I would grab just one "P" and try that out first. :rolleyes:

20. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Yes @GrayUK I think that would be the wisest decision

21. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Ah come on. You let him talk you out of it that easily. ;)

22. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hahaha yes @Giarc
    I seem to listen to what folks have to say...I'll set this up again with one set and virtually don't touch anything other than to center it on my workpiece, then re-do the toolpaths.
    (see below and advise) @Alex Chambers and @Giarc

I have also been talked out of a cheap Chinese bit order by "er indoors" stating that I've paid out all that money for the machine so why do you want to skimp on the bits.:eek:..I'm not arguing
    So I have placed an order with Ooznest for another 6mm std and 2x3mm std up-cut endmills.
    In the hope that the longevity of these will outdo their cheaper counterparts...I'll just have to be Uber careful and watch my speed and feed rates

single set.PNG
    Revised "P Clamp" job

23. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Looks good now Colin, I was initially concerned that the hole for the captive nut was closer to the outside profle than in the model upload_2019-3-8_7-11-58.png

In Oak, this would have probably split.
    Agree with er indoors, cheap Chinese cutters can be a false economy, the clue is in the price, but I have found some very good quality tapered ball-ended cutters for 3d work from China, 6pc R0.25-R2.0 HRC55 2F Tapered Ball Nose Endmill CNC Router Bit Milling Cutter | eBay
    Good luck with your first cuts. Geoff

24. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hmmm...
    You're paying £14.75 for a bit capable of machining aluminium or brass. I'm paying £1.78 for a bit that will be fine cutting plywood. (and I won't cry if I do something really stupid and break it)
    Alex.

25. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I didn't know that factor @Alex Chambers. The button is not yet pushed as I mull over this throughout the day...I will have to make the order by tonight. I really wished I hadn't purchased the £100 starter kit at the outset..another newbie mistake...but I do get your point.

26. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Also profile of cutting edge is different for various materials - what works best in a hard material is unlikely to work well in a soft one - fibrous materials (wood) behave differently to crystalline ones. Using a tool designed for hard materials on a soft one will blunt it a lot quicker than using it on the material it was designed for.
    Alex.

GrayUK likes this.
  27. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Alex, my Routing experience is mainly cutting hard Oak and other Hardwoods Images and from my experience I know that I wouldn't get that far into a job with a HSS £1.78 cutter. :) In the end it depends what material you are machining and the complexity and finish required, but solid carbide cutters does it for me. Not sure about the Ooznest cutters, haven't used them, but the spec looks correct. Unfortunately I have a box full of cheap HSS cutters that have dulled in minutes of use.

Alex Chambers likes this.
  28. Chillimonster

Chillimonster Well-Known
    Builder

I use a local (to me in Manchester UK) company for my endmills.

Really helpful, and good quality (And they have some of the more obscure ones i needed such as a 5mm twin flute upcut end mill with a 22mm cut depth on a 6mm shank :)

cncpoorboy_toolstore | eBay Stores

GBR Engineering Services Ltd

29. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Compared to, say, purpleheart, oak is not particularly hard on cutters. I can't comment on HSS cutters value for money - haven't seen any on sale for years - the cheap cutters I use are carbide. HSS tools do take a sharper edge than is possible with carbide (carbide keeps the edge you do get for longer) so can give a better finish especially in relatively open grain timber like oak. My main point for beginners (at cnc - I have over 50 years experience of working wood) like me and @Colin Mccourt is that cheap bits are expendable for starting with.
    Alex.

30. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

PS; I think toolstation.com (where I get my cheap router bits from) will deliver to Northern Ireland even though they don't have a store there - will probably take a few days though.
    Alex.
    PS free delivery if you order £10 worth of stuff.

#210 Alex Chambers, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019