Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Setting the Z Axis zero point.

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by SkyDyno, Oct 31, 2017.

1. SkyDyno

SkyDyno Well-Known
    Builder

Hi there..

I have the Ooznest version of the OX machine. Very happy with it.

My questions arise around the CNC xPro v2 controller. I want to set up an easier way of setting the Z axis zero. I’ve noticed on the controller board there is an pin marked z-probe..

1. Is this for setting the Z axis?

2. If so, how is this wired?

3. What code instructions need to be added/changed?

4. Does it in fact automatically set the Z axis zero?

I assume that I’d then have to use the offset facilities to allow for the thickness of any gauge plate used.

I also take it, that the offset can be used to set the X & Y axis zeros.. Set the machine to a specific/convenient location on the board knowing the exact distances to the relevant datum on the work piece.

Sorry if I’ve no explained things very well.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions….

:)

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Contest Winner! Builder

Th
    The probe is wired between GND and the Z-Probe screw terminal on the front of the XPRO, usually a crocodile clip on the endmill as probe, and the guage plate / corner finder on gnd)

For usage, see Probing - Wiring Setup.and usage. · Issue #464 · grbl/grbl · GitHub (ie it doesnt set zero, you need to send G10 command to zero it) (You can accommodate the thickness / offset of probe diameter in your G10 command: set the current position where it stopped probing as the offset)

You can probe X, Y and Z

3. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Builder