Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Routy GT2 290 BSX CNC Router, Low Cost and Good!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ronald van Arkel, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

The DeWalt 611 also pushes out more than the machine is made for but it should work. Get all solid wheels and not dual V wheels (about the same price). Make sure you use a 24vDC power supply so those NEMA17 motors will have enough torque.

-Ronald

2. ensari cokur

Builder

Awesome design. I will start building. I have grbl shiled with a4988 driver. will that work?

3. Ronald van Arkel

Hello @ensari cokur ,

The A4988 should work with the OpenBuilds NEMA17 motor, just make sure you use a 24vDC powersupply and a fan to blow over the drivers. The one sold by OpenBuilds is good quality (MeanWell).

I'm thinking of using the new XL gantry plate for C-Beam for the next version of the Routy, but there is still not a release date and will be for sure months from now.

If you need any specialized help, just post me.

-Ronald

#33 Ronald van Arkel, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. ensari cokur

Builder

I was planning to make my router from scratch that's why i bought (3) nema 17, 400 step motor. I will need one more. Is it ok if i buy the last one 200 step nema17 from the site and put it to z axis.
    thanks.

5. Ronald van Arkel

Are the motors you have the same torque as the OpenBuilds motors? So between 70 and 80 oz·inch?

-Ronald

6. ensari cokur

Builder

65 oz inch, bipolar 2A, 42x42x48mm

7. Ronald van Arkel

Okay, that will work fine with the drivers. It's easy to set all parameters for 400 and 200 step motors in GRBL as well.

-Ronald

8. ensari cokur

Builder

Thank you very much. I started ordering parts and read the manual :)

9. Ronald van Arkel

Your welcome! Please, post your build on this website so others can see what you are doing AND it is the best way to get help as well ;), thank you.

-Ronald

ensari cokur likes this.
  10. speed

speed New
    Builder

Would it be stable if I made it 1000mm X and 1000mm Y axis?

11. Ronald van Arkel

Hello @speed,

What will you cut with it?

-Ronald

12. speed

speed New
    Builder

I would like to cut acrylic. If i could get a cutting area of around 500x500 it would be great. So maybe even 750x750 X & Y?

13. Ronald van Arkel

That hand router you have is indeed too big for the Routy and also not needed to cut acrylic sheet (you know this).

If you want to upscale, take a look what I posted here: Routy GT2 300 BSX CNC Router | OpenBuilds I't basically the same as the Routy 290 but with a larger and reinforced bed like the original Routy made by @Mark Carew. I would add a Threaded Rod Plate - NEMA 17 Stepper Motor at the bottom of the Z axis (bearing and lock collar needed as well) to reinforce for the DW611. The back brace of the gantry is only 20x20mm and changing that to a 20x40mm is recommended. You should use 1000mm V-Slot to get between 750x750 and 800x800mm cutting area. It is possible to use double belts on the X and Y axis; check out how it's done here OX-Based Self-Contaned HVLP Spray Booth | OpenBuilds with the difference of using GT2 and not GT3. @robbell has some nice photos there.

-Ronald

#43 Ronald van Arkel, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Mark Carew likes this.
  14. ensari cokur

Builder

15. Ronald van Arkel

Each NEMA17 motor will pull about 0.7A, you will be good if that is a real 4.5A PSU but it is on the edge. I don't know the quality but it's again one of those LED powersupplies and not really made for CNC, still, they say it has an efficiency of 84% so it might be modern PSU. Test your motors connecting the electronics first before you put the motors on the machine. You need to adjust the drivers any way before you run your machine.

-Ronald

16. ensari cokur

Builder

Total cost to me. I had already 3 stepper, power supply, dremel 4200, arduino and grbl shield. I ordered from some of the stuff a little bit extra and 20 x Solid V Wheel™ Kit. limit switches. 20x40 1000mm extrusion is 1000mm in the part list. I would suggest buying 1500mm because you need 990mm for the project, but you will need to cut to 6 pieces. Just in case.

OpenBuilds Part Store - Order #####

Your order details are shown below.

Order Status: Awaiting Fulfillment
    Order Date: 6th May 2016 @ 7:48 PM
    Order Total: $551.77 USD

17. Ronald van Arkel

You need 7 pieces of 20x40, 4 corners/legs, 2 gantry legs 170mm (you can make them taller with the 1500mm you ordered), 1 for the Z-Axis (you forgot that one, it's 170mm but you can make it taller).

Make sure you have the tools that are listed in the manual ;).

-Ronald

GrayUK likes this.
  18. David Crain

Builder

Could you advise what your Z height is with the 170mm extrusion and 250mm acme rod? I'm looking for approx 6" of z height (working space). If I bought a 300mm rod and a 220mm extruxion cut, would that give me 6 inches? Thanks!

19. Ronald van Arkel

Hello @David Crain,

With a V-Slot of 170mm on the Z-axis, and also on the legs of the gantry (yes, 170mm there too), you would have a movement of about 70mm. If you would use a V-Slot of 250mm in place of those 170mm, you will get close to those 6". It is advised to use another NEMA17 Acme rod plate on the bottom of the Z-Axis, with it's collar and bearing. to get less wobble in the Acme screw.

-Ronald

20. David Crain

Builder

Thanks for getting back! Also, do you know if a 16t gt2 pulley would work as well for this build? Imagine I would just need to adjust some stepping settings in the firmware. Any reason why you choose 14t? I can't find any other 14t options other then openbuilds site. Thanks!

21. Ronald van Arkel

Hello @David Crain,

A 16t pulley will do fine. I made the choice over a 20t pulley for higher resolution and torque, that is all. I never saw the belt slipping with a small pulley, but I also have the belts always tight enough.

-Ronald

22. David Crain

Builder

Thanks again Ronald! I'm sorry but I do have another quick question. I plan on putting a Dewalt DW660 on this thing. However I'm worried there might not be enough room on the 20x40 extrusion mount and/or the tool might rub up against the solid v wheels. Any suggestions or ideas concerning using this tool with the current BOM? Thanks again for your help!

23. Ronald van Arkel

Hello @David Crain,

Don't you worry about using a bigger tool than a Dremel 3000, it will fit fine. When you are done with your build you can start making your own base for that router, using the Routy to cut it out ;).

-Ronald

24. David Crain

Builder

Awesome thanks! I'm also beginning to think I'm crazy. I can't seem to wrap my head around how your z axis allows the tool to go up and down? Do you happen to have a video of it in use by chance? I found this one on youtube but his extrusion plate isn't mounted to the nema motor mount..

25. Ronald van Arkel

Take a look at the OpenBuilds OX, the Routy I modded is more like the OX and not like the first Routy that @Mark Carew made.

The motor and V-Slot moves up and down:

[​IMG]
    Sure, the Routy uses a 20x40mm V-Slot.

-Ronald

26. andy-may

andy-may New
    Builder

I like the look of it and as this is my first foray into CNC this will suit my budget and available time. The build manual is clear and I will find it helpful. I will send pictures of my build when started.

27. Ronald van Arkel

Hello @andy-may,

What you just said is why the Routy exist. It might be a low cost but it is very durable and can be used to build larger machines. Just make sure you cut the V-Slot straight ;).

If you need any help, we are here for you!

-Ronald

28. David Crain

Builder

Just ordered all the parts for my 290 routy! Pretty stoked. Went with the black extrusion instead of silver. I'll post photos once I get it completed. Thanks again for sharing your BOM and design instructions!

GrayUK and Ronald van Arkel like this.
  29. Ronald van Arkel

Now I think of it, I need to update the BoM, description for the eccentric spacers is obsolete. There are no “full size” eccentric spacers sold any more ;).

30. ensari cokur

Builder

IMG_7320.JPG
    Thats it for tonight. Made it bigger just not to cut the aluminum :)

Ronald van Arkel likes this.