Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Routy GT2 290 BSX CNC Router, Low Cost and Good!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ronald van Arkel, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

puntoMX published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Nice job Ronald! Lots of nice new features added to this one as well as keeping as stock as possible.
    Looking forward to the manuals :)

3. shofi

shofi New
    Builder

Hello Dear.
    I want to make a Routy GT2 290 BSX CNC Router.
    But ,where do I get the materials of this Router?

4. Ronald van Arkel

Hello Shofi,

Next week I'll upload the BOM and I might release the first version of the build-manual as well. All parts are sold from OpenBuilds, less the Arduino with CNC-Shield, junction-box housing and wood. Where are you from? I ask this so I can try to help you with the parts that are not sold at OpenBuilds.

-Ronald

5. Ronald van Arkel

Right, added BoM (Part list) and SketchUp V8 drawing to the project. Still working on the build-manual... :cry:

-Ronald :zipit:

6. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Great work on the model and BOM :thumbsup:

7. Ronald van Arkel

Thank you Mark.

I thought that a low cost router would have been more popular :confused:, people must be waiting to the build manual.

-Ronald :oops:

8. Sebastian Held

Builder

Great work! After my Ardumower project is finished, I like to start with this one. Thanks for all the information.
    Sebastian

9. luca liberti

Builder

It looks really nice. I was wondering if this mill could be used to engrave pcb.

10. Ronald van Arkel

Hello Luca,

It can be used for PCB milling, the machine itself has the precision for it. However, you need to mount the Dremel or a precision rotary tool well and eliminate the play on the head as much as possible. Lowering the gantry helps with precision as well.

-Ronald

11. webitman

webitman New
    Builder

Great work, I have been looking for a less expensive build for a long time and you have came up with a good design which so many people would surly follow, just waiting now for your build manual and then I can get started.

12. Ronald van Arkel

Hello webitman,

Thank you, it can still be improved a little. The manual is available now, it was uploaded a few hours before you posted but I forgot to write a line in the forum :).

I've made another design based on this one but with a larger bed which is easier to mount/change. Some things I'll be adding to this build but first I need to to work on some other projects.

upload_2015-9-17_11-11-22.png

upload_2015-9-17_11-11-53.png

-Ronald :thumbsup:

mohajer and webitman like this.
  13. BNiner

BNiner New
    Builder

Very clean build, efficient. Well Done! I like the file on it too!

14. Ronald van Arkel

15. ErikBeck

ErikBeck New
    Builder

Awesome build!!! How do you think this would compare to the C-beam machine as far as accuracy and rigidity? They look to be pretty similarly priced. I'm looking to mostly use it for making custom aluminum plates. Thanks for all your awesome work sir!!

16. Ronald van Arkel

Hello Erik,

Your welcome, took me some time to get the manual polished. There is a price difference of 120USD when you add the stepper motors to the C-beam Machine. The C-Beam machine is much better to cut Aluminum, the Routy is perfect for people that want to start with CNC with a Dremel or rotary tool mounted to it. So, I would recommend the C-Beam machine for sturdiness, but both can work with the same precision. With the price difference in mind, you can have a complete, ready to work, Routy for those 565USD, including the electronics (arduino+shield) and Dremel 3000 tool. The C-Beam machine needs a Dewalt or Bosch router that go for around 120USD, electronics can be the same; this will place a full build C-Beam machine at 755USD, 190USD more than the Routy.

Still, go with the C-beam machine for cutting harder materials ;).

-Ronald

17. ErikBeck

ErikBeck New
    Builder

Thanks for the quick response Ronald! This community is so awesome. I've been digging around and just loving everyones ingenuity. Working on my first build to post now.

18. Eric Schneider

Builder

Small thing, there's a typo on page 6 of the BOM, it says "GT3 Timing Belt" when it should say GT2. Really not a big deal, just thought I'd bring it up if it'd be easy to fix, I like what I've seen of the build so far!

19. Ronald van Arkel

Hello Eric, thank you, will change this directly as for sure it needs to be GT2!

-Ronald

20. jkalberer41

Builder

Hey Ronald, I made my way over from your 300 build. If instead of the rails as shown, if I bought the 6 rails for the X and Y axis at 1000mm do you think it would make problems for me to increase the size to 650X650 mm? I have good enough machines to cut these rails down, and I would also increase the amount of timing belt I would buy (to 12ft, might as well have extra). Do you see any reason to upgrade to nema23's? What about making the cross braces double rail instead of single?

Also, what would it take to upgrade the belts to acme rods? Is that advisable?

21. Ronald van Arkel

Hello jkalberer41,

Did you get the SketchUp drawing of the 310 model in the 300 model topic? That one has a larger and sturdier table. I don't see any problem with adding more length to the X and Y axis, howebver, if you like NEMA23 motors I would take a look at the OpenBuilds Ox. Plates for the Ox can be bought from eBay (I get mine from Chris) and there are a few on the forum that also sell them. But, if this is your first CNC, the NEMA17 motors with a 14t pulley do a great job. Any tabletop CNC you will get, you will be upgrading sooner or later any way ;). I've thought about changing the X and Z axis to C-Beam. While it's a nice upgrade, it also adds to the cost and that's not what I wanted with this design. To be honest, I like the belt systems for small CNC routers, well, not that small as I also use them for 4*4' tables, but Acme is great as well up to 2.5*2.5'... Hard to say if it's worth it, the upgrade of the X-axis (gantry) to Acme...

-Ronald :blackeye:

22. jkalberer41

Builder

I saw the drawing, I'll have to look at it a bit better. It is my first and I'd like to keep it lower on price (keep the wife happy). I'll stick with 17's and the belt system. As far as the power supply goes, do you think 12v is more than sufficient? Are there any other components I didn't list that would require a change while upgrading the size? At some point down the road I'd like to get away from the Dremel, but I think at that point I'll start another build from scratch and keep this one as-is. As far as I can tell, you've done an incredible job with a low cost build that people are very happy with.

23. jkalberer41

Builder

Checked out the 310, looks great and fundamentally the same, correct? I think I'll try this out, you've sold me. Thank you so much and be ready for future questions!

24. Ronald van Arkel

No problem, you are welcome, I just wrote you back a PM to give you some extra ordering service. We're still working on a release of a kit. ;)

Forgot to read the other post:

- Go with the 24vDC PSU, motors power up faster.
    - No need for upgrading from the beginning, improve the parts that are not up to your spec later. I've thought about how to make this router better but it all involves a much higher cost at almost no advantage. (sure we want to sell more parts, but customer satisfaction comes first! :D )

-Ronald

#24 Ronald van Arkel, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  25. Eric Schneider

Builder

Any suggestions on a CNC controller and a power supply?

26. Rob Guy

Rob Guy New
    Builder

This build looks great! It will be my first. Do you think this is well suited for beginners? I'm gonna have lots of questions!

27. Ronald van Arkel

Hello Eric, Since this is a low cost build I would stay with an Arduino and GRBL shield, using the DRV8825 drivers; from there you can upgrade later. You can also go with the Smootieboard directly; Smootieboard is much better then TinyG to say it simple. Get the 24vDC MeanWell powersupply from OpenBuilds, best on the market for it's price.

Hello Rob, this is an "easy" build after you have cut the the OpenBuilds V-Slot square and to the right size. Cutting V-Slot can be a challenge if you don't have a fancy miter box, table saw or better ;). You also need to tab some holes to M5.

The build instructions should be easy to follow, don't forget to download the manual first! And when you build and have questions, POST your build, share what you did and so others will share back to you! :thumbsup:

-Ronald o_O

28. hernejj

hernejj New
    Builder

29. Ronald van Arkel

Hello hernejj,

The Routy isn't made for "heavy" tools like that, you might take a look at the OpenBuilds Ox. I'm also working on a kit with stock OpenBuilds parts that will work with a 2.25HP router (released in a few months, so not that soon.

-Ronald

30. hernejj

hernejj New
    Builder

Thank you for your reply :). This is my first build and mostly an experiment so I want to keep costs down. I figured, since I already had the Bosch 1617EVS I could simply reuse it and avoid having to acquire another tool. If the Routy is not strong enough to lug around a 6-pound motor then It would be cheaper for me to just buy a $60-$90 1.25 HP Dewalt than it would be to build an Ox. I did consider the Ox but it is too expensive for build #1. Perhaps later :)

Thanks for the suggestion.