Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Routy CNC Router (V-Slot Belt & Pinion)

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

kram242 published a new build:

Read more about this build...

#1 Mark Carew, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    bobt and Chris Allen like this.
  2. tonkajeep34

Builder

I really like this CNC. Can't wait to see the parts list. I think this might be my first CNC build!

elie likes this.
  3. Mark Carew

Cool! I would like to see it built by someone I will get the parts list together soon as I get the chance.

4. Chris Allen

Builder

I am also keen to do this build, and am looking forward to the parts list. I love the compact nature with the motors under the table, really neat. I will be looking to eventually add an enclosure made of 20x20 as money allows!

Got my Arduino, shield and pololu drivers, just waiting to order some hardware.

Is it true to say that the base (the section under the bed) could be made from ordinary 20x80 (since it is not used for rails), as that would reduce shipping charges to the UK for me since I could source that locally?

5. Mark Carew

Thank you for the kinds words Chris :)
    I like the idea of the enclosure keeping in the dust and sound.
    Yes you could but better yet you could use 20x40 like the model shows and that would help in savings as well.

6. Chris Allen

Builder

Do you think using 20x40 would affect the stiffness of the overall design?

7. Mark Carew

Its such a small area and there is .5" wood on top off that so it will be strong. In fact I did no that wood for the spoiler board so I used a .5" piece of foam that I had laying around and it works :) Of course its not stiff but it works none the less for cutting out parts needed on another project.

8. Colin Russon

Builder

UK / European distributor www.robocutters.co.uk, website will reflect all stock held when stock arrives in a week or so. I will also be offering full self assembly 'kits' for this type of build in various sizes such as 400x300, 600x400, 900x600 etc.

9. Colin Russon

Builder

Yes it could.

10. Chris Allen

Builder

Small world, I just ordered some eccentric spacers and some NEMA spacers from you on ebay (robocutters.co.uk doesn't work btw, only com). I would be interested in a mechanical kit for this (already have the electronics and motors). Do you have an idea of the kind of price you will ask for the 400x300? I don't want to hang around since I'm keen to get started, but being sure of the final price is certainly tempting!

11. Frank G Haymes

Builder

Where did you get the lead screw nut for your build?

12. Mark Carew

I ordered mine from Roton http://www.roton.com/acme-lead-nav.aspx?line=Acme for testing this build.
    We are sourcing to have affordable 8mm and 6mm (metric acme) on the OpenBuilds Part Store soon.

13. Makerwill

Makerwill New
    Builder

That's great news! :) Those parts can't come soon enough... :( The selections at Roton look great and all, but the prices really are :eek:.

Mark Carew likes this.
  14. NjEmt

NjEmt New
    Builder

I really cant wait for the part list. I've been wanting to build a cnc for years. Almost pulled the trigger on a shapeoko till i saw this. Hopefully You will have the list up soon, as I will be checking back daily.

Makerwill likes this.
  15. Mark Carew

Shapeoko is a great looking machine, but I wanted to build a stock machine that everyone can make without having custom plates made.
    So now that I have this machine I am able to work up my own custom plates for a new bigger/stronger machine or any build that I will need plates for.
    The last thing that needs to be done on this machine is a mount for the spindle. Right now I am using zip ties :D
    So I need to come up with a mount that uses stock parts or a store bought dremel mount. Ideas are welcome I have been looking once we have this we will be good to go.
    Completing parts list is is on the to-do I will put it together asap
    Thanks @NjEmt
    Pic of the much needed mount
    DSC03116.JPG

9X29Fmda and Makerwill like this.
  16. Martin

Martin New
    Builder

Great job!! I was looking for ideas to build my own CNC machine yesterday when I came across your site and parts store and its simply brilliant! Anyways, I've attached the much waited for parts list, made from your sketchup model/photos, if you could just check through it for any changes since you drew it on CAD then everyone can use it to start building one of there own!

Your sketchup model is fantastic, rarely get to view one at that standard! I haven't yet got a chance to have a play with any of these parts due to the shipping costs (from the UK) but due to how good the sketchup model is I've quickly got a feel for what is possible with these parts and there is just so much potential! I am currently doing a design for a CNC machine using these parts but focusing alot more on keeping the costs down so it is alot more affordable, ill have it up on the weekend!

Attached Files:

9X29Fmda and Mark Carew like this.
  17. Mark Carew

Martin you rock! Thank you for doing this. I tell you guys its been a busy few days here and as with all good intentions I got behind on putting up the parts list but thanks to guys like Martian that make up this awesome community its there! Very cool thanks again Martin

Thats exactly how we feel about them and the reason why OpenBuilds was created. We know that there are going to be so many machine designs and variations we need a cool place to showcase them and hang out with the guys who design and build them. We feel this is really going to be the place to watch open source hardware grow beyond what anyone could have imagined, and thats what its all about!
    Looking forward to your build can't wait to see it. Thank you for the kind words my friend :)
    Mark
    p.s. I will attach this list to the Files tab in the build

#17 Mark Carew, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  18. Chris Allen

Builder

Thanks for the parts list. You don't have any 20x40 listed. Have you modified the design or is the 20x60 mislabeled?

19. Martin

Martin New
    Builder

Apologies Chris! It's even at the top of my notepad, was the first part I included so not sure how I managed to miss it. I put two 20x60 as there was 2.4m required so more cost effective to buy it in two lengths.

Thanks for spotting and checking it, I shall update it shortly.

20. Chris Allen

Builder

No problem, actually I was thinking of using 20x60 for the Z (looks like it will fit) since then the only v-slot I need would be 20x60 and the rest could be t-slot sourced locally.

21. Christian Stauduhar

Builder

Thanks for the great project! Looking forward to building it :)

Some comments about my experience trying to fill a cart with this project...

1) Unable to add out of stock items. Makes for an incomplete project cart.
    2) Unable to add correct quantities when stock is low. Makes for an incomplete project cart.
    3) No feature for adding notes about the line item, such as a part number from the BOM.
    4) No way to save the cart as a project for later order/re-order/sharing.

Additionally, it would be cool to be able to add parts from other vendors to a BOM and be able to fill a cart on their sites.

I'd like to see the Wishlist function just like the cart and be able to move a Wishlist to the Cart, or Cart to Wishlist.

And personally, I'd rather not have to dismiss the pop-up that appears after every item is added to the cart.

I hope these comments are found to be helpful,

Cheers

22. Mark Carew

Thanks for the feedback Christian, these are great ideas and its good to hear them from a first hand attempt at checkout.
    We will look into making these changes asap

23. Martin

Martin New
    Builder

Cheers[/quote]
    Additionally to Christians comments, there doesn't seem to be an option to view the currency in GBP even though pretty much every other currency is possible! Though I am getting pretty use to converting between the two now, still be useful to see!

24. Mark Carew

Thanks for the update Martin GBP has been added :)
    Thank you
    Mark

25. Bryant

Bryant New
    Builder

Any chance the Open Builds store will add mounts for NEMA 23 motors? I have them sitting around though they might be overkill for this project. I'm looking to cannibalize what I can from the JGRO build that I have but have never quite tuned right.

As near as I can tell from the model this would have a functional cutting area of maybe 12" by 28". Do you all see any issue of increasing the width by several inches?

26. Mark Carew

We will have these as well as custom nema 23 its all in the works and will take some time so i can't put the eta on that just yet. However that being said I too have some of these laying around and in fact am working up a cool little project for them right now ;) (should have something to show during this weekend) So you may just want to hold off for a little bit.

27. Mopar32985

Mopar32985 Well-Known
    Builder

This is a great design and perfect size. Would it be hard to use nema 23 on this build instead of the 19. Also would this be strong enough to cut wood, g10, carbon and other similar materials

Read post above can't wait to see the parts for the nema 23

#27 Mopar32985, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Mark Carew likes this.
  28. samc99us

samc99us New
    Builder

Neat! Curious, why use v-slot over hardened open rail + steel v-wheels?

29. Mark Carew

Hi Sam,
    The hard-coat OpenRail has been discontinued due to a few reasons really, lack of popularity and cost of production. Another reason is that users were confusing the hard-coat properties with strength and not wear characteristics and so they could crush the hard coat anodize if not careful. So it was better to not use it at least for that product
    Its a shame really, as this was a nice product that had great potential. With that being said most of the guys are finding out now that the derin wheels work even nicer for their applications and on builds where higher weight load is needed this is over come with adding more wheels to distribute the load. So its all a learning process in the end to find what works best for most builders and working to prefect it.
    Thanks Sam
    Mark

30. Bryant

Bryant New
    Builder

Another thought on this build: Is there any reason why you couldn't have two gantries on this, one for CNC and a second for 3d printing? Use the belt & pinion with one belt on top and the other on bottom of the x axis.