Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Rack and Pinion Cartesian Mill

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Joe F, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Joe F

Joe F New
    Builder

Joe F published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Well-Known
    Builder

Hey Joe, just came across your build plan. I am currently working on a rack and pinion upgrade for a sphinx and hope to post it here early 2020.

I've already prototyped 20 degree (pressure angle) 20 pitch racks for a couple of T-Slot builds now, and getting the design finalized for v slot rails to cut in the next couple of weeks. If you haven't ordered your parts yet I would be happy to help if possible.

20191125_095204.jpg 20191127_123341.jpg

Attached Files:

#2 Mike Campbell, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  3. Joe F

Joe F New
    Builder

Hey Mike! That's really awesome to hear, unfortunately I already ordered a rack system from McMaster, I'll actually be doing a build update in the next few hours (rack's aren't installed yet though). I see you don't have a build in progress posted, but if you have pictures I'd love to see them, it looks like you may have tried but they're not working on my end. I'm not 100% confident in my mounting solution for the racks and I could always use them for something else if it doesn't work out, so if you've been developing a system for 2020 I'm excited to learn more. Let me know!

Are you machining these racks yourself? What material and grade of material are you making these out of?

Joe

4. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Well-Known
    Builder

Yes I'm machining them. They are milled out of Delrin/Acytel sheet stock. Have just updated my reply to you so the pics ought to be there. My very first build post on this forum about the t-slot builds will be coming along with the sphinx upgrade plans early next year.

#4 Mike Campbell, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  5. Joe F

Joe F New
    Builder

Those are awesome, they look well done! I'm a bit nervous about how strong the teeth are near the screw holes, has that been an issue for you? What types of materials are milling with this set up? I'm curious to see how they hold up over time. Looking forward to seeing your build next year!

6. Corey Corbin

Corey Corbin Well-Known
    Builder

Hi Joe, Is that the 500w Spindle? How is it holding up? I have same one but just deployed it maybe a month or 2 ago. Just curious on thoughts on materials you have cut with it and settings. So far I have mostly cut acrylic and did a few holes and in 1/4 aluminum plate 6061 I think. The holes came out great but then I tried to pocket and I took to much bite on the steppover and to fast in feed and it started bouncing around. Plus spindle speed might be to fast I turned it up all the way. I thinking it ok for aluminum just looking for a base line. Thanks!

7. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Joe, no issues here so far, hope to post a lot more very soon. How are the 3D printed parts holding up? And at what feed rate's and spindle rpm's in what materials?

8. Joe F

Joe F New
    Builder

Hey Corey, sorry apparently I wasn't receiving notifications for openbuilds comments. Yes this is the 500 watt spindle. It's holding up. I've just started to notice that its sounding funny but I think it just needs a good cleaning. I have in no way been a nice owner to it and it's been great. Aluminum I haven't tried much faster than 800mm/min with an 1/8" bit. I tried a 1/4" bit but started having belt slippage. I'm upgrading the X axis to a rack and pinion now too to avoid that. There's going to be a big update on this build now that I'm finally done with my masters degree and can dedicate some time to it. For me the most limiting factor with this spindle has been chipload if I'm using a single flute bit. I can run this thing really hard

9. Joe F

Joe F New
    Builder

The max spindle rpm is about 10k on this unit which in most instances is plenty for me. In wood I've clocked in at well over 2500mm/min at 1x DOC.

Aluminum has to be much more conservative due to vibrations. looking at ways to reduce that without resorting to steel or concrete. something more like 600-800mm/min with a 10% DOC

10. Corey Corbin

Corey Corbin Well-Known
    Builder

Right on thanks for getting back and don't sweat it! Well I think i might broke my power supply to the spindle today. I think am gonna message the people i bought it from before i pop the lid and to see if there is a fuse or something. I was half way thru a job cutting aluminum part out and the Z axis just dived into the part, out of know where and stalled the spindle. 3 to 4 secs later I shut it down. I guess it blew something in the power supply cause i get no voltage out when i turn the pot on the power unit. Well i was thinking of upgrading anyways. But up till then it was cutting aluminum with 1/4 in end mill 500mm/min and .15mm deep. Not sure with that right but it was churning and dig the aluminum>

11. Bitrunner

Bitrunner New
    Builder

Which racks did you use from McMaster?

12. Joe F

Joe F New
    Builder

I don't think I can post links here, but it's part number: 6295K232

14.5 degree pressure angle with .208 pitch height.

the pinion I decided on for best torque to speed ratio was: 6325K63

If you're willing to spend the money, they have a pinion thats pre drilled and tapped, but they're like 60 bucks a piece. You'll just need an M4 tap and a 3.3mm drill bit, as well as some m4 set screws to use the part number that I am showing here. In my opinion its well worth the savings for 15 minutes at the drill press.

Bitrunner likes this.
  13. Bitrunner

Bitrunner New
    Builder

Thank you... plan on someday converting to rack and pinion for one of my axis and seeing what you and others have done is very helpful

14. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Assuming you have a drill press..... :).