Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Probe not working get error message

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Jayhawk714, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Jayhawk714

Builder

I am using OpenBuilds Control for the sender to my Invetables Xcrave 1000 Xcontroller. I get the following error message. How do I fix this error?

Attached Files:

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It thinks your probe is triggered before it even starts. Check your wiring. Use the troubleshooting tab to see if the probe is triggered or not.

3. Jayhawk714

Builder

Thanks for your reply, and, yes the probe shows triggered. The wires look good but I will reinstall them. The X-controller does not accept a 3 wire connection so I am only using the black and red wires. I was told the blue wire was for an LED light which not having it is no big deal to me.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

You need Black and Blue. Blue is signal, Black is ground. Red is for power for the LED if you have a three wire.
    docs:blackbox-4x:connect-xyzprobe [OpenBuilds Documentation]

sharmstr likes this.
  5. Jayhawk714

Builder

Wow, guess I was told wrong. I was told the blue wire was for the LED light. I will change that tomorrow. However, after I unplugged and then re-plugged the connector on the plate the probe worked. Although it did not start in the exact position it should have but that could be a mistake I made in Vcarve. But like I said I will fix the wires in the morning. Thank you soooooooo much for the information.

6. Jayhawk714

Builder

Giarc, I connected the black wire to ground on the X-controller and the blue wire to Probe. I rebooted and connect OpenBuilds Control and ran the Probe with the same error message as in my original post.

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Are you connecting the wires directly to your controller? Or using a plug? If it only takes the two wires and you are using blue and black, it should work. When I commented above, I assumed you were using the cabling provided and wired it according to the instructions I had linked above.

8. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Here's a few things to try

Go into the grbl settings tab and make sure $6 Invert Probe Pin is set to Enabled. If its not, change it to enabled, save, restart Control. Go into troubleshooting tab. Does it show the probe as being triggered? If no, you have solved the issue. If yes, contintue.

Remove the probe wires from the x-controller. Connect control and go into the troubleshooting tab. Does it show the probe as being triggered? If yes, you have a problem. If no, continue.

Wire black to ground and blue to probe on the x-controller. Make sure the magnet is not touching the probe plate. Connect control and to into the troubleshooting tab. Does it show the probe as being triggered? If yes, you have a problem. If no, continue.

Attach the magnet to the router collet. In the troubleshooting tab, does it show the probe as being triggered? If so, you have a problem. Do you have a spindle instead of a router?

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. Jayhawk714

Builder

I put the black and blue wires directly to the x-controller and the other end is the connector that came with the probe which I plugged into the plate.

#9 Jayhawk714, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  10. Jayhawk714

Builder

Shawn, good news bad news. Good news is the $6 was disabled and I changed it to Enabled and saved it. I rebooted not only OpenBuilds Control but also my laptop. The bad news is that the bit comes down to the plate but does NOT come back up. It just keeps pushing down hard on the plate.

11. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

You need to keep troubleshoot before actually probing.

You want to achieve a triggered state only when the magnet makes contact with the plate (either directly or by way of magnet->collet->bit->plate). This can be tested by first touching the magnet to the plate. If that doesnt work, then STOP and check your wiring. Look for broken wires or make sure that the connectors at the plate are crimping bare wire and not insulation.

If touching the magnet to the plate does trigger, then try attaching the magnet to the collet again. Touch the probe plate to the bit. Does it trigger? If yes, then you should be good. If no, then is your bit clean/free of build up?

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  12. Jayhawk714

Builder

After changing $6 to enabled and rebooting I went to the Troubleshooting and the probe was not triggered. I will follow the steps you gave me in this post and let you know the results. hopefully this will fix the problem. :thumbsup: Have a lot of carves just waiting to be done!!

13. Jayhawk714

Builder

14. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

15. Jayhawk714

Builder

I used my volt meter and checking at the connector attached to the plate I am getting 5.00 volts. i used the black probe to black wire and red probe to the blue wire(not the magnet blue wire). In OpenBuild Trouble Shooting it shows it's Triggered(how do you un-trigger). If I touch the magnet to the plate the Triggered goes green until I remove it. Touching the collet or bit with the magnet does nothing, also touching the plate to the bit does nothing..

16. Jayhawk714

Builder

oops sorry

17. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Then it appears the probe is working

That is correct. You are not closing a circuit by just touching one or the other. The magnet needs to be stuck to the collet. Then when the bit touches the plate it will trigger. Basically it is like closing a switch. All parts have to be used.

It is shown here at 2:23

18. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

No. Green means not triggered (off). Red is triggered.

upload_2023-2-19_17-27-28.png

19. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I was thinking the green light. My bad.

20. Jayhawk714

Builder

Sorry all, but I am back to my original problem. Right now the red trigger shows in troubleshooting. When I jog the bit over the hole on the plate and Confirm it's location and the click on Probe the bit moves to the center of the plate(but not touching it) and then stops with the error message in my first post. i have the black and blue wire attached to my x-controller. $6 is Enabled. When I touch the plate with the magnet the Red Triggered goes green until I remove it. The same thing happens when I touch the plate to the bit. Could it be a bad Probe??? Just about ready to say the hell with OpenBuilds and go back to Easel Pro.

21. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

$6=1 applies to our BlackBox X32

Set $6=0 or 1 - whatever sets it to GREEN when the Magnet doesn't touch the plate and RED when the magnet touches the plate (In Troubleshooting tab)

Next, watch troubleshooting while clipping magnet to router - does it go RED? (Short to GND via Spindle/Router)
    If it does not go RED, lift the plate up and touch the bit - does it turn RED now? (It should) - drop plate back down (goes Green - it should)
    Don't test by running probes, test manually first

22. Jayhawk714

Builder

Thank you for your reply. I change the $6= in the morning. Hopefully this will finally fix the problem. :thumbsup:

23. Jayhawk714

Builder

How do you edit the GBRL settings in OpenBuilds Control? I need to edit $6 or at least see whats it's set at.

24. Peter Van Der Walt

OpenBuildsCONTROL > Grbl Settings Tab > Scroll down to $6

Also shown in the Serial Log terminal on connect

But do re-read my earlier reply.
    Use the TROUBLESHOOTING tab (not the setting)
    Set $6=1 - does the probe indicator on Troubleshooting tab behave correct (Green when magnet isn't touching plate, red when touching magnet to plate)
    If thats inverted, set $6=0 - does the probe indicator on Troubleshooting tab behave correct (Green when magnet isn't touching plate, red when touching magnet to plate)

1=enabled, 0=disabled if you use the Grbl Settings tab

25. Jayhawk714

Builder

Think I it. When I go to grbl settings and scroll down to $6 there no way to put in 1 or 2, the only choice is Enable or Disable. I changed it to Disabled and ran the probe 2 times and it worked perfectly!!!! Thanks for your help now I can start doing my 3D files! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

26. Lapocat89

Lapocat89 New
    Builder

I am having the same problem, i checked the wiring and its ok, but my probe plate has the green leds always on, when i attach the magnet to the bit and touch the bit with the probe plate it lights up more, the green light gets brighter. In troubleshooting the on off switches on and off every second or less and stops on triggered when i make probe plate and bit touch.

What else could check ? ( i have the openbuilds probe)

27. Peter Van Der Walt

AC EARTH to DC GND short somewhere in your system (these would normally be seperate, somewhere you have a leak enough to get current to flow so much the LEDs even light up)

Process of elimination. Unplug stuff one at a time, see if the LEDs go out (endstops, USB cable, 0-10v cable, etc one at a time till you find the one thats related to the short)
    Then dig into whichever it was in more detail (happy to help once you find which it is)