Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

possible in a software upgrade?

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by Timber n Thyme, May 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timber n Thyme

Builder

So maybe i'm just spoiled having used a few different CNC interfaces before but would it be possible to get the following 2 upgrades in the next firmware version for the openbuilds interface? I have went through the documentation and searched the web and cant see where they are available currently

1: Toolpath run time - I charge by the hour for projects and currently have to start a stopwatch timer when i press run, then have to make sure i am right there when the job finishes to stop it so i know how long it took. I can get "runtimes" from my $300 made in china 3d printers interface, i'd really like to see them on my $3,000 CNC.

2: Estimated runtime - Sure Aprire give an estimate, even with all kinds of fine tuning on feeds it has never been less than 20-40% off on its estimates. Again, i get that feature on a cheap made in china $300 3d printer, i'd love to see it on a $3,000 CNC.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

CAM estimates should be quite close to spot on. If its not, you are CAMing at feeds that exceed your Grbl Max-Rate values, or overly conservative Acceleration configs - causing Grbl to limit feedrates resulting in the difference.

For Business use OpenBuildsCONTROL offers a more comprehensive interface - and includes a Job log with the actual runtimes under the Wizards and Tools menu. Interface is more meant as that "just run my job" kind of no fuss interface - so unlikely to be added soon

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    David the swarfer likes this.
  3. Timber n Thyme

Builder

my speed rates i enter in aspire are the same speed rates that I have the tools set to cut, 20ipm to 60ipm depending on the bit. i have been fine tuning the scale factor bit by bit as i go but they are still very far off no matter. I can run the exact same job, after doing the algebra to calculate the scale factor and they are still off by 20%-40% . Guessing this must be a software issue i resolve over at the vectric forums.

Never the less. I created a little stopwatch using C++ and a microcontroller and screen, got the code from here ( Create stopwatch with C++ ) then had a friend integrate it into the microcontroller. We current can display the "0.0%" job status on the display, it starts the second the first command is sent, and stops on the job complete command, couldn't we simply replace the % figure with a stopwatch? We get a good enough idea of the % by the progress bar, assigning it a numeric value although more accurate is kind of redundant isn't it? just have the job start command start the stopwatch, and the job complete command end it, then we could even display the total run time on the job complete screen, not only would this help people who bill by the hour for machine time, but it would also help people fine tune their scale settings in aspire. Seems there would be more benefits I'm not thinking of, but the point is, there is no disadvantage what so ever other than someone writing some code and i am sure there are many more benefits than i am thinking of for my own personal use.

I'm not a professional coder or anything, but with the internet of things, i have found success in tweaking things rather quickly and easily. Is the source code for the firmware available somewhere? If this cant be discussed and added to the current firmware, i would love to take a shot at just doing it myself with the help of some of my friends who are coders.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I think the issue you are seeing with Vectric software is they do not know what your acceleration rates are which is why they are so far off. I noticed it too. The Vectric estimates for job time are way high. When I load it into the machine, I get a pretty accurate time.

5. Timber n Thyme

Builder

I know there is some metrics, not adjustable by the software interface that make it a useless tool, 100% of the reason we need a job timer in interface. Hopefully i get some sort of response tomorrow.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Thanks for the suggestion

7. Timber n Thyme

Builder

So.......

Is the software here open source?

I have the feeling i wont be seeing a job timer added into the interface for quite a while and would like to just do it / have it done myself.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

9. Peter Van Der Walt

You have to set that up to make it closer to your actuals: How can I get an estimate of how long the toolpath will take to actually cut?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.