Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

[poll] Where would you like more help on your build?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by MaryD, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
?

Where would you like more help on your build?

1. Mechanical

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Electronics

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  3. Software

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

poll-pictures-2.jpg

Let us know where you could use more help in your builds. We'd love to hear from you!

2. Rodm

Rodm Veteran
    Builder

I could use some help paying for it! ;)

Grain Raiser, Grantman, Bcsjr and 2 others like this.
  3. GrayUK

GrayUK Master

It would be a really great help, if someone could take a year or two of their time, and put a load of "Frequently Asked Questions", along with their answers, in the "Frequently Asked Questions" section. :):)
    This would save soooo much time, and help immensely right across the board. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I would offer to do it myself, but being in my late sixties, I feel I don't really have that sort of time to spare. :)
    But if anyone likes a challenge, then they will have my full support. :D
    Gray

crispin, MaryD and Giarc like this.
  4. 58chev

58chev Well-Known
    Builder

Local suppliers, to cut down on shipping charges.
    I know in my situation that every nickle saved on shipping can be better utilized elsewhere.

crispin likes this.
  5. Bcsjr

Bcsjr Well-Known
    Builder

I am of the same mind.

6. Molioni

Molioni Well-Known
    Builder

Electronics, and noise avoidance specifically. I know there are a billion configurations but perhaps a Fritzing diagram for each build (optional of course)?

MaryD likes this.
  7. GeekDad2014

GeekDad2014 Well-Known
    Builder

Dialing in your machine to make sure the sketch you make equals the part you cut.

Molioni and MaryD like this.
  8. pappydan

pappydan Journeyman
    Builder

shipping charges on very small orders. Sometimes I need just a couple small items that could be put in first class mail. sometimes the cost is just a couple bucks and I hate paying a lot more for shipping than the cost of the item, However I know the more shipping options you offer can create a boondoggle in the shipping department.

MaryD likes this.
  9. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

First class mail is already available.... NEW Lower Shipping Rates

10. Jonathon Duerig

Builder

The biggest improvement in the store would come from vastly expanding the documentation of what the parts are for and how they work together. A lot of the information is there implicitly but it is often not obvious or buried in videos about other topics. For example, at a very basic level, I know from experience what an eccentric spacer is for and how to use it. I've bought, assembled, and used a number of your machine bundles, linear motion bundles, and plate bundles. But suppose that I didn't have that experience and I clicked through to this link:

Eccentric Spacer

The hints that are in the page are that it is used for something called 'pre-loading' and that it is somehow used with V-Slot rails and V-Wheels. So as somebody new to the site and new to the whole idea of using V-Slot, I could use a link to an article explaining the overall idea of pre-loading and how this relates to the various pieces (eccentric spacers, non-eccentric spacers, wheels, etc.). And it would also be great to have a discussion of why you might choose 1/4" vs 6mm eccentric spacers (it doesn't really matter but you need to make sure that the eccentric and non-eccentric spacers are the same). Even links to what bundles it is part of would give important clues about what this part is and why I might need it. And it would be incredible to have documentation giving official answers to perennial questions about eccentric spacers (like how big to make the holes and how far apart holes should be for custom plates).

This is even more important for the electronics stuff. Which motor should be used with which driver? Which power supply goes with which driver? This page, for example, says that the driver board is compatible with two different controllers which is good. But it doesn't say which motors it will work with or what power supply to use. Or how to wire it up. Or how many you would likely need for a typical build. Etc.

DQ542MA Stepper Motor Driver

I suppose this goes along with @GrayUK's points about how nice it would be to have a massive FAQ. All of this documentation would take time (and money to pay people to take the time). So I understand why it is hard to make sure it is there. But I'd bet that the power of that documentation would strengthen both the community (who would have standard references for known configurations) and sales (because people would better understand why they want a particular part).

-D

GrayUK and MaryD like this.
  11. pappydan

pappydan Journeyman
    Builder

Thanx Rick....Was unaware of that. And thanx to you guys at OB for doing that

12. pappydan

pappydan Journeyman
    Builder

As someone who is still quite new at DIY CNCing,I will have to 2nd Johnathan's comments. starting out I had very few problems with the mechanical aspects. My biggest problem was starting out with software. I was able to grasp Gcode and was actually able to write gcode files for basic operations long before I was able to get a grip on CAD and CAM. The amount of differing file types was mind boggling. importing and exporting file types was a nightmare. And of course tracking down the free and lo cost software was a little time consuming.I am thinking about writing a primer for a beginner from the viewpoint of a beginner. It is very difficult for one that has a great amount of experience to get down on a beginner's level. But after saying that I will say this, when I become ruler of the world I plan on eliminating many file types.

MaryD and GrayUK like this.
  13. Rendermandan

Rendermandan Veteran
    Builder

The only area I could have used help with was setting up the electronics. Specifically the microstepping on the Xpro V3. Although I found the info online, I had to do some searching for it on a different website.