Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

Also, in the wizard I can flash a version for Arduino Nano with the Door switch NC. Since there is no WiFi on my CNC I have to load it through a USB drive. How do I download the correct version to update my CNC? Will it be in the normal download with the option to choose then? It's been a long time since I installed it and I don't remember.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Project Maker Builder Resident Builder

No, bluetooth cannot serve webpages... Very different technology. Spend the $10 (cable, usb wifi adapter, repeater or whatever is missing) and get the PC on the network...

3. JayMcD

JayMcD New
    Builder

Tethering to your phone for network access?

4. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

Not as simple as that. The mini PC that I use is on Windows 10 and I've read that many users complain that when Windows updated the unit stopped working properly and you can't turn Windows update of so I rather not hook it up to the WiFi.
    What about my other question, to download a version for Arduino Nano with the Door switch NC already formatted.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Firmware updates do not need internet access

You can disable win10 updates win10 disable updates - Google Search, but that aside (updates are good) that advice sounds suspect unless the mini pc is of some very dubious source, in which case, plenty of cheap or even free PCs on craiglist to replace it with

6. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks, that was helpful, I now have it disabled and was able to update Control to 'Arduino Nano with Door switch NC'.

Now, when I start Control and connect to the Arduino, I get the 'MSG: Check Door' even though the door is closed and it repeats itself every few second and I can't do anything with Control. I know it's closed because when I open it that message appears rapidly many times a second for ever until I close the door. When I close the door it returns to the every few seconds interval and I still can't do anything and every few messages I get the FEEDHOLD warning and another message as can be seen in the attached picture. Also, as can be seen, the door is closed.

I have connected the Door switch to the Hold pin, as I saw mentioned a few places. Is that the correct pin or not?

Door.jpg

7. Peter Van Der Walt

use the troubleshooting tab to check your wiring. Make sure you understand the logic (triggered = door open)
    Dont forget to use quality switches like our Xtension switches (which are NO by the way) with filtering

8. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

Now that you've mentioned it I realized I forgot to put the filter on that switch. I had it on the limit switches. I'll put the filter on it and we'll see if it fixes it.

While at it, I wonder if I should also put filters on the probe and spindle control output pins or are they not needed there?

#1868 JustinTime, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

Probe yes, spindle no.

JustinTime likes this.
  10. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

A few hours after I posted the question it occurred to me that the Probe is input and needs filter and the spindle is output and doesn't need.

I installed the filters and now it runs with no errors. I opened the door and expected the Z axis to go up but it didn't. On the other hand, after I closed the door, I pressed the run button twice and the program continued from where it stopped. I didn't expect that but I like it.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Only if you compile in "Parking" - see gnea/grbl

12. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Peter.

I looked at the code and it says '#define PARKING_TARGET -5.0 // Parking axis target'. It kind of surprised me since a - indicates on the Z axis to go down and not up.

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Its a POSITION not a move. Z-5 in Machine Coordinates would be right at the top, 5mm away from the homing switch. You can't move to the switch or it will trigger, so it stops just short of it. By default, in Grbl, the entire machine lies in the Negative Quadrant. Read Why is Grbl in all negative coordinates after homing? Or it so annoying and not what I'm used to!

14. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

Well, we are back to the homing issue. I'll see how I can work around it in the settings. I don't 'home' and I don't want to.

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Stop resisting the much needed standards, you will just keep bumping your head against things that doesn't work right until you do. Homing is a must for anything except the basic "set zero and run job only in G54" work. Everything else, needs homing. Because every other coordinate system is referenced from Home.

sharmstr and David the swarfer like this.
  16. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

I'll just say that my life got a lot better once the homing switches went in. Watching the machine saw through work pieces, the work bed, and supports because it had no idea where home was was nuts.

17. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

I'm running the AppImage. Where do logs for the AppImage end up.

What happens is this runs for a while.
    I think the screen saver kicks in.
    When the BB finishes what it is doing it stops.
    Not the job but the last spoon fed line of the job.
    Control GUI is firmly wedged.
    I have to kill control and restart it to get it back.

I don't think it drops the usb but it is hard to tell.

I've switched to the .deb if that makes any kind of difference. I need to run some tests.

I switched to ubuntu from mint. They're both debian. Surprised there is any difference.

18. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

kill the screensaver!
    A pc that is running a machine tool must not power save or screen save in any way whatever.

19. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

I enabled it and it still does the same, it doesn't rise, or lowers, the Z axis. I even tried to enable this line: // #define ENABLE_SAFETY_DOOR_INPUT_PIN // Default disabled. Uncomment to enable. but it acts even way weirder so I re-disabled it.
    I searched the term 'door' in the config.h and only these instances came up and one about inverting the pin but I didn't bother with it since that is not a problem in my case, I think.

20. Peter Van Der Walt

It definately works. If it doesnt raise, did you remember to HOME first? Remember, Parking happens in Machine Coordinates...

and yes. You need to enable Door, and enable Parking if you want a Parking motion when the door opens.

21. Josh Gibb

Josh Gibb New
    Builder

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first time posting so hopefully I am doing this in the correct place. Sorry in advance if I am wrong.
    I have been running OB Controller on my iMac but have recently installed on a Rpi to run it in my shed instead of the iMac. I have all of the Macros I use set up on the iMac OB Controller, and am wanting to know if there is a way of migrating them over to the Rpi or do I have to input them all manually again into the Rpi?
    Cheers

22. Peter Van Der Walt

Manually at this time: See Backup/Restore buttons for Macros · Issue #93 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL for todo list item, but not yet

Tip: Copy the details to a text file on the iMac, take that along with you to save some typing when you recreate them

Josh Gibb likes this.
  23. Josh Gibb

Josh Gibb New
    Builder

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  24. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

I know the following problem was mentioned before but I couldn't find it.
    I run a g-code after zeroing the axes on the material (without homing) and it run perfect. I even run it a few times with no problems. I tried homing first and then zeroing the axes on the material and running the same g-code and the Z axis goes up and hits the limit switch. Where shall I look for to fix it?

25. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

How are you generating the gcode? Post a sample file.

What we do on the fusion side of things is make a G53 Z move to -5mm (5mm from your limit switch) so it never triggers the switch.

26. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

In the SketchUcam options there is a setting
    upload_2021-5-3_16-44-17.png

that last one, "End position Z for G53", set it to -5mm and it will raise to Zhome - 5mm to avoid that limit switch

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  27. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks, David, I'll try it.