Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

ah now...... I normally use bCNC but last night I swapped to OBCS for a job precisely because it has continuous jog AND a settable jog speed. This means I was able to quickly reduce an extra bit of material by 2mm just by jogging around at a 'feedrate' without having to do any drawing or use a wizard to create gcode.

and I really liked Candle because of the same continuous jog but ditched it because it never sets G54 offsets instead always using G92. This means it forgets your work offset everytime it resets.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Exactly why i am keeping the input (we all do a bit of manual machining sometimes right) , but it remembers last value and stays that way. For actual jogging i dont see a need to vary the feedrate all the time as suggested

3. sharmstr

sharmstr Veteran
    Moderator Builder

Understand. But my gcode files are in mm. The Fusion post I use doesnt use imperial at all. It will error out if you try to. If you look at my screen shot, you'll see the G21 commands. However, when trying to figure out what happened, I did think it odd that Peter isnt specifying G21 in the initial probe command. I will say that earlier in the day I did mistakenly press "inch-mode" when trying to load a file. I immediately switched back to mm, opened the file and ran the job. But even when you switch to inch-mode in Control, all move commands sent are converted to mm. (1" move in x+ sends G91G21X24.4). In other words, I dont think a G20 command has ever been sent to my machine. Ever. :)

I appreciate your input though.

WJC and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

That is a conundrum indeed! Always hardest to get the reproducible pattern.

Any chance either of you (adding @WJC) are playing with none G54 coordinate space before probing?

(just asking on a hunch)

5. sharmstr

sharmstr Veteran
    Moderator Builder

I had just changed bits between jobs, so no.

For my own education, what are all the $J=G9121X-10F4978 that are issued after I pressed the probe button (in my screen shot)? I could understand why they would be there before I probe since I do jog the bit down close to the plate before probing.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

7. sharmstr

sharmstr Veteran
    Moderator Builder

nm. I was reading it wrong. I thought you were using G28 commands and that those jog lines were happening during the probe routine. :oops:

8. Blake Barr

Builder

so I have now ruined another bit because of Probe Z. Probe Z has now cost me nearly $75 dollars and put me even further behind on getting projects completed. Getting pissed about this problem is now becoming a search for better software. And this is NOT an EMI problem.

here is the gcode:
    X0, Y0 were set manually prior to probe Z. Yesterday I did this same thing and the first time it probed, had the same problem. retracted and ran probe again and it worked as it should. I did not look at the console to see if when it retracted it set coding to G21 but I bet you it did which is why probe Z worked the 2nd time.

Notice G20 yet it set Z to 19.72mm (my touch plate thickness). I read and operate in inches and it probed (or attempted) 19.72" at 100ipm. Z callout was set to 19.72" (not the mm counterpart) after it broke the bit and completed the command.

Why is this a difficult fix? Seeing G20 there sticks out like a sore thumb. Since your probing featuring are set to run in metric regardless whether you operate the software in inches, why cant you just change the code for probing to always be set to G21? Am I missing something here or why does this sound like a really simple fix? Or just dont let people use inches if you know its a problem.

EDIT:

Now that im not so pissed, i am looking this over and i am going to explain in depth what i am doing:

I am manually setting X0, Y0 and then manually inputting half the cutting diameter into X and Y, then setting that position to 0 to get true zero. that is where G20 is coming from. then i jog 5ish inches in X+ and Y+ to get into position for the probe. You can see G21 in the jogging commands but it makes me wonder if G20 is still overriding G21 since its a callout for a G21 jog to position vs a solid G20 or G21 command like at the top of the Gcode i have listed.

[ G0 X.03125 ] ok

[13:02:49] [ G20 ] ok

[13:02:49] [ G0 Y0.03125 ] ok

[13:02:52] [ G10 P1 L20 Y0 ] ok

[13:02:52] [ G10 P1 L20 X0 ] ok

[13:02:58] [ $J=G91G21Y25.4F5000 ] ok

[13:02:59] [ $J=G91G21Y25.4F5000 ] ok

[13:03:00] [ $J=G91G21Y25.4F5000 ] ok

[13:03:01] [ $J=G91G21Y25.4F5000 ] ok

[13:03:03] [ $J=G91G21Y25.4F5000 ] ok

[13:03:05] [ $J=G91G21X25.4F5000 ] ok

[13:03:06] [ $J=G91G21X25.4F5000 ] ok

[13:03:07] [ $J=G91G21X25.4F5000 ] ok

[13:03:08] [ $J=G91G21X25.4F5000 ] ok

[13:03:09] [ $J=G91G21X25.4F5000 ] ok

[13:03:18] [ $J=G91G21Z2.54F5000 ] ok

[13:03:20] [ $J=G91G21Z2.54F5000 ] ok

[13:03:21] [ $J=G91G21Z2.54F5000 ] ok

[13:03:22] [ $J=G91G21Z2.54F5000 ] ok

[13:03:49] [ G10 P1 L20 Z0 ] ok

[13:03:50] [ [ PROBE ] ] Probe Completed. Setting Z to 19.72mm

[13:03:50] [ G38.2 Z-25 F100 ] [PRB:128.301,-533.370,-4.628:1]

#758 Blake Barr, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

:) As you know its broken, do not use it! Jog Z down manually, click Setzero. Not too hard, and surely cheaper and less frustrating. When the bug is fixed you'll see a notice in the Changelog on the troubleshooting tab, or also hosted here: OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL

See OpenBuilds CONTROL Software and the other related ones around it - we don't say its EMI. We were still discussing the root cause

a) there is a long todo list: Build software better, together is just the CONTROL/CAM one - and priorities just like any other organisation
    b) So far I've had two users reporting the issue, you'd be the third. Relatively low priority for a bug thats not really reproducable yet (up to the last discussion at least, sounds like you have a pattern of how to make it fail, so can now try again) and
    c) it was first reported on 20 July. Just 11 days ago :) - so hold your horses :)

Well, thats putting a bandaid on it but sure, checkout v1.0.183 (compiling now - test it later) . There's a quick way, and a right way. The right way will be when I have the probing wizard switch to Inch too when the user is in inches (; - of course thats more work too so will stay on the todo for now
    Of course, @sharmstr works exclusively in mm mode and had it happen to her too
    So... still up for debate if G21 fixes it

10. Blake Barr

Builder

Is there a difference in the background between a standalone G20/G21 code (like the G20 listed at the top of the code i posted) vs a G21 Jog code? Does the G21 jog code reset the coding to G21 or is that jog code in G21 remain only for jogging?

11. Peter Van Der Walt

12. Peter Van Der Walt

As per Grbl Wiki > Jogging gnea/grbl :

We do use the override, which is active just for the jog command then

sharmstr likes this.
  13. sharmstr

sharmstr Veteran
    Moderator Builder

OHHHHHH. Sorry for the wrong info Blake. I wasnt aware of that. Normally, as I mentioned in our chat its modal. But as I also said in our chat, I'll take Peters word over anything I say. LOL

Peter, just to let you know, since Blake (and from the looks of it WJC) have run into this problem several times, I've suggested that he create a macro for Z0 probe that calls out a G21. I understand that it may be a bandaid, but would be interesting to see if in doing that the random problem goes away or happens again.

14. Blake Barr

Builder

I will keep you updated. I made sure to make g20 active prior to probing and adding g21 prior to probe Z appears to have solved the problem.

Attached Files:

sharmstr likes this.
  15. Peter Van Der Walt

Good idea, but note that v1.0.183 will do:

addQToEnd('G21');
    addQToEnd('G10 P1 L20 Z0');
    addQToEnd('G38.2 Z-' + data.dist + ' F' + data.feedrate);

David the swarfer and sharmstr like this.
  16. email.james.home

Builder

Peter,

I think the update to v1.0.183 caused some issues with my machine or Openbuilds Control software. I have the following symptoms:

Systems: Lead 1010 machine, CNC xPROv4, Openbuilds Control SW 1.0.183v.1.0, OS: WIndows 10

- I was about to start a job, when it prompted me to click next (or something to that effect) to update software, so I waited and let it update. I homed everything, jogged the machine over after the update to my start point, zeroed out the axis, and watched it drive the Z axis into the wasteboard. It let me raise the Z back up, then nothing worked after that. I tried to jog in any direction, as well as home the machine, nothing is moving the machine. I tried resetting EEPROM, WCOs, and Settings. When I was able to connect I saw an error at the top saying that I had permissions problems with the port (port 5 for me), and that it was trying 3 different way to connect. It was able to connect on the third option (without any input from me, this was in the log), but nothing works in terms of settings changes, moving the machine, or anything else, it's like I'm not connected.

Log:
    [23:28:22] [ 3D Viewer ] WebGL Support found! success: this application will work optimally on this device!
    [23:28:22] [ Websocket ] Bidirectional Websocket Interface Started
    [23:28:23] [ update ] Checking for Updates
    [23:28:23] [ update ] You are already running OpenBuilds CONTROL 1.0.183
    [23:28:26] [ connect ] PORT INFO: Port is now open: COM5 - Attempting to detect Firmware
    [23:28:26] [ connect ] Checking for firmware on COM5
    [23:28:26] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 1 (Autoreset)
    [23:28:27] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 2 (Ctrl+X)
    [23:28:28] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 3 (Unsupported firmware: Smoothie)
    [23:28:28] [ ]

- after the above happened, I rebooted and tried to re-connect. Openbuilds Control tells me I have more than one version running when it is opened. In task manager I do have an Openbuilds task I cannot kill, properties:
    - file version: 1.0.183.381

Log:
    23:18:59] [ update ] Checking for Updates
    [23:18:59] [ update ] You are already running OpenBuilds CONTROL 1.0.183
    [23:19:02] [ ] PORT ERROR: Opening COM5: Access denied

- click "connect" see (I did reboot and tried CNCJs as well, cannot maintain a working connection)
    PORT ERROR: Writing to COM port (GetOverlappedResult): Operation aborted
    [23:04:17] [ ] PORT ERROR: Opening COM5: Access denied
    [23:06:41] [ ] PORT ERROR: Opening COM5: Access denied

I'll reboot again, then try a manual uninstall and re-install to see if that task in task manager can be removed as I am guessing that is the issue. I've never had any problems like this before, so it must have been the update. I'll be unable to access my machine until at least late tomorrow (01AUG) or possibly later due to travel, so please pardon lack of response until then. Please advise.

Update:
    After re-boot the task was gone in task manager. When I started Openbuilds Control I still had the
    below in the top of the log:
    [23:36:28] [ 3D Viewer ] WebGL Support found! success: this application will work optimally on this device!
    [23:36:28] [ Websocket ] Bidirectional Websocket Interface Started
    [23:36:29] [ update ] Checking for Updates
    [23:36:29] [ update ] You are already running OpenBuilds CONTROL 1.0.183
    [23:36:31] [ connect ] PORT INFO: Port is now open: COM5 - Attempting to detect Firmware
    [23:36:31] [ connect ] Checking for firmware on COM5
    [23:36:31] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 1 (Autoreset)
    [23:36:32] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 2 (Ctrl+X)
    [23:36:33] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 3 (Unsupported firmware: Smoothie)
    [23:36:33] [ ]

and the machine was in some kind of error loop with the hard limit lockout pop-up box. Same symptoms as above, only it was connected and I couldn't get out of the hard-limit warning error loop. I used CNCjs and was able to connect to the machine and home it, and when I closed that out and went back to Openbuilds Control I was able to jog the machine and the hard-limit loop was gone. Unfortunatley both CNCJs and OpenBuilds Control won't run a job. Both will run macros and home, with Openbuilds sometimes getting into the hard-limit loop as described, but both also freeze mid any-job about 30 seconds in. Thanks again. -james

#766 email.james.home, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  17. Peter Van Der Walt

Right so I grabbed 1.0.183, and connect just fine to my Grbl 1.1 test machine:

So, going to reinstate it for download. Nothing wrong with 1.0.183!

You may just have a wiring issue, check your endstops or disable Hard Limits.
    The big clue being that CNCjs doesnt improve it for you: Common denominator being the same machine in both tests

18. WJC

WJC New
    Builder

@Peter Van Der Walt I could not reproduce the z-probe error with v1.0.183. It worked perfect every time, at least on my machine. Thanks for the update.:thumbsup:

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  19. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Journeyman
    Builder

@Peter Van Der Walt

I've been gone for a while so I apologize for the delayed response. I definitely see your counter points. I do still stand by the "jog distance" part though.
    As for the code portion, I like that challenge!

20. mrp192

mrp192 New
    Builder

My router has been down for a few weeks. Got it working today.But before it broke Macros for XYZ probing was working without a problem. Now that im up and running they look to be off in X and Y for about 11mm.

21. Peter Van Der Walt

No changes in that area (macros run your code not ours)
    Check that your diameter offsets (in your macro gcodes) are correct (half endmill diameter + plate thickness)

22. Mandy Ellifritz

Builder

Peter, I use a laptop with a 12" screen with my machine. The control software does not fit on the screen well, specifically the cut preview. Is there any way to make that into a pop out screen so I can move/resize it? I use MatterControl for 3D printing and it has a similar function if you'd like to see an example.

23. Peter Van Der Walt

Not at this time, sorry
    Out of interest sake, whats the native resolution of the machine? (interface is more in Pixels than Inches)

24. Blake Barr

Builder

Probe Zero still working flawlessly

25. wernerhillbert

Builder

Open Builds Controller Software and TinyG Board
    Hi
    I'm Use on OX- Machine with TinyG Controller Board.
    If is possible to implenment this Controller Board to the Openbuild Controller Software?
    still i try to test but no service to TinyG.
    Greeeting Werner

26. sharmstr

sharmstr Veteran
    Moderator Builder

Sorry no. Peter suggested Chilipeppr or CNC.js

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

27. Peter Van Der Walt

Unfortunately not, we do not supply any TinyG based systems, and the general community for it is insignificantly small.

Have you considered getting a BlackBox Motion Control System

Better drivers, easier to use, more widely supported, sinple to interface etc

Mark Carew and sharmstr like this.
  28. Beëlzeblub

Builder

Well i've switched from ugs to the openbuilds control and i like it very much. Even so i'm no longer using ugs. I realy realy like the OBCO!
    Now if the OBCA soft would have more functionality as to the designing/creating freedom that the easel soft of inventables has, well ***t i would be in heaven! the easel browser soft is just easy to use for creating fast stuf and OBCA is kinda going in that direction sow i'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

sharmstr likes this.
  29. Rob Atha

Rob Atha New
    Builder

Peter, Mark

Just downloaded the new release of obcs but it won’t install, gets halfway through install on windows pc then crashes.

Any ideas ?

Rob

30. Peter Van Der Walt

Something on your PC
    1243 users without the issue (; just mentioning as its always a good check to determine if its just the user, or an issue with the installer for example

- uninstall old version first
    - Cleanup OpenBuildsCONTROL install directory
    - Screenshot of "crash"? Or if no error, what does it do?
    - old versions are available at OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL

sharmstr likes this.