Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds CNC (witthuhnCNC XKLBR-1S)

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Kenneth Witthuhn, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Kenneth Witthuhn

Builder

Kenneth Witthuhn published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Thomas McGravie and Kevon Ritter like this.
  2. GlitchDesign

Builder

Really nice job on this build. I've always seen the end points of the leadscrews as a weakness on a lot of OB machines. Yours looks neat...

So you've used an off the shelf pillow block at the far end, and then relied on the bearing inside the stepper at the other? Are you getting minimal backlash with this setup? Did you need to use special steppers and / or couplings with this arrangement, or would it work ok with most standard components?

Really nice job on the wiring also. Did you 3d print the end brackets for the echains?

3. Kenneth Witthuhn

Builder

Hi there
    I’ve used standard 8mm pillow bearings, which hold really nicely onto the T8x8 screw drives - the bearings in the standard nema23’s do the work on the other side, I just made absolutely sure the nema23’s are central on the end brackets - so no ware on the nema’s bearing. Couplings are solid aluminium - I’ve had no issues with backlash.
    Yes I 3D printed the dragchain brackets-
    (I love AutoCAD & Ultimaker2)
    I’ve redesigned the cnc machine recently to incorporate the drag chain in a tidier way. I’ll send more pics when all this Covid19 madness is over! Keep well & stay safe.

Attached Files:

4. GlitchDesign

Builder

Thanks for getting back to me. This build is really inspiring. I'm a huge fan of utilising the inner trackways in the C Beam as a means to reduce footprint (like on the sphinx), and your Z axis arrangement looks innovative (i was always wary of the extra overhang involved in having a vertical section of C Beam in the Z axis assembly).
    The use of carbon fibre for plates is also new to me. Do you have any comment on it? I'm presuming that it's lighter and easier to cut (?) than aluminium, but how does it compare in performance? Is there a reason why your machine has some aluminium plates and others carbon, or was it just based on what you had on hand at the time?

5. Kenneth Witthuhn

Builder

I liked the inner tracks of the C-beam because as you say, it saves space. The main reason was it’s more likely to keep dust & shavings off the vslot track. I used the carbon fibre later on in the project, as it was easier to work with, it is 2 to 5 times more rigid than aluminium & it looks cool! I went for this low profile Z-gantry design (using 2020 V-slot) - so there would be less leverage between the router bit & the gantry (more accuracy), I would also gain 20mm on the work area. (Please be aware that working with carbon fibre is hazardous - the dust is harmful!)

6. GlitchDesign

Builder

Thanks for making that clear. Good to bear in mind.

When i get round to my next machine build (which won't be for a while) - i'll definitely be taking on board some of the great ideas from this project. Thanks again for sharing.

7. Wes Dwight

Builder

I like the idea of using struts for your bed clamps! Can I ask where you found them? Everything Im coming across is too wide for what I want...