Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New to OB: combo build

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Jakes, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Jakes

Jakes New
    Builder

I'm new to Open Builds, having found my way here via looking for suitable extrusions, having settled on C-Beam.

Been around several rapid fabrication systems for a while, be it via MakerSpaces or elsewhere, and building several 3D printers in my background.

A 'cheap' Chinese laser cutter has landed in my lap that I can either try to fix, but it may actually be far more expedient & cheaper to do a full rebuild from scratch, ala. LaserSaur or FabKit/FabCreator.

The mechanics for CNC/Plasma compared to a LaserCutter is not all that dissimilar, so I'm hoping to work on a single design that, with very few alterations, would work either way.
    (but will start with this laser cutter first)

Is this a project/idea worth pursuing, or am I deluding myself?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The main question would be what do you think you can salvage from the system you were given? Beyond that all I can think of is that plasma cutters are a bit more robust so you may be happier in the long run going with two systems. You might have a look at the ACRO system as an economical means of getting a system up and running.

3. Jakes

Jakes New
    Builder

Thanks for the feedback - that looks like a good start.

The use-case(s) would be in MakerSpace(s) & mobility - mobile van/workshops & expo.

What I'm after - initially at least - is a standardish build that would fit into a "standard unit of measure" (such as with of 2 containers or a server rack).

Setting plasma-cutter aside (since that's getting into production scale with significantly higher risks associated), a standard build would allow for a similar learning-curve for the mechanics & board, interchangeable components & parts, since we need to import everything, so the simpler the better.

I doubt an all-in-one machine would probably be impractical, since recalibration with every move or tool-change would be an absolute PITA, and having it too 'hackey' would put off the laymen we hope to bring into the fold.

MaryD likes this.
  4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

May apologies, I didn't notice the two references you included in your initial post. If the laser you were given was CO2 based, there are several good references for CO2 systems in the laser build section of the forum. Most are scratch builds but there is one upgrade of a chinese system which may be useful. While the enclosed beams of such systems would be great for a makerspace or exhibitions, I'm not sure how well such systems will travel without continual realignments.