Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New build suggestions

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Sprags, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Sprags

Sprags Well-Known
    Builder

I am about to take the plunge and build a CNC mill. I was about to go with an X-Carve and then I ran across OpenBuilds and see that this is what I've wanted all along.

My plan is the build a machine the size of an XL C-Beam however I like the idea of having a stationary table and moving XY and Z axis. I'd also like a CNC controlled variable speed spindle. Through another thread in this forum I found a link to a business named Automation Technologies that happens to be 20 minutes from home and I see that the business sells all kinds of stuff to compliment an OpenBuilds type machine. I called and hoped that the business owner and engineer would be willing to offer suggestions as to what spindle, servo motors and the associated controller boards and drivers and other components would be a good way to go. His reply to my question about that was that people already knew what they wanted and they just order the stuff from him.

I told him I've been working in the machining industry and know how to program and I know how to machine but I just needed a little guidance regarding putting the right components together to make things work fairly easily hopefully without major problems.

Then I started thinking I should face the fact that maybe the way to go is just build an OpenBuilds kit with the recommended OpenBuilds suggested components first with a basic router first and then move up from there. That way I can start making stuff relatively quickly and I can improve my machine along the way.

As I said if someone can offer suggestions I'd appreciate it. Can someone point me to threads that focus on more than bolting all the beams and lead screws and plates together? Threads that talk about the electronics and motors and boards? Right now all I have is an iPad at home and it doesn't lend itself to navigating around the OpenBuilds forums that well so perhaps a link or two would help?

Thank you.

2. Sprags

Sprags Well-Known
    Builder

As I said all I have is an iPad and that thing seems to be a pop-up magnet so every time I open a page that has an ad on it the ad opens and blocks the web page I want to see plus makes navigating to other pages very difficult.

i decided to try opening the OpenBuilds forum at work and see a whole lot more regarding the topics I need to research. I'm sure I will find the information I need that will help me with determining the additional hardware i need.

Thank you.

MaryD likes this.
  3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Download a program called "Ghostery" it will help keep some of those adverts out of the way. It doesn't ring as many bells as "AdBlock"

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That is weird because there are no adds - except openbuilds own - on the openbuilds forum pages.

5. GrayUK

I don't know, cos I always run AdBlock and Ghostery, so I never see any ads anyway. :rolleyes:
    Perhaps they were some of his own. :)

6. Sprags

Sprags Well-Known
    Builder

well...my reply really wasn't complaining about the ads...I had hoped to get feedback regarding cnc motors and stuff...but

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

The openbuilds forum has am entire section dedicated to electronics and motors are included.

8. GrayUK

Sprags. My apologies. :(
    As you have probably read somewhere already, our usual question is:, "What do you intend to do with the machine?" Once we can see where you want to go with it, then we will be better able to help with the types of gear you need and advise. :thumbsup:

9. Sprags

Sprags Well-Known
    Builder

I'm soorry too. It was frustrating to not find much and only when I realized it was due to my iPad and it's erratic behavior that I feel a little embarrassed.

My iPad is a third generation and it's time I got something new with new technology to go along with it.

Anyway...I want to build a C-Beam mill since it seems the c-beam is the strongest of the extrusions. I'd prefer a stationary bed and moving X Y and Z axis. I was hoping to have more than an inch of travel in Z. What I'd like to do is be able to machine the aluminum parts I'd need to assemble aluminum chassis for electronic components I'm building a few amplifiers myself but I have an idea for a design I'd like perhaps offer. I'd also like to be able to have a variable speed CNC spindle though I see I need to do some research before I take the plunge.

As I said automationtechnologies.com is close to my home and I see they sell the kind of stuff it looks like I need and want. The only problem is that I have a lot to learn about the servo motors, the drivers, the CNC controller board along with the power supply and everything else. The business owner came right out and told me he's not there to help me...that I should already know what I want.

Are there any threads that help educate me for how to help me select what I could use?

10. GrayUK

Keep your iPad to drive the machine, it doesn't have to be very powerful, but will do nicely. :thumbsup:
    I'm afraid there are hundreds of threads to educate you, but we need to refine the selection. It could be worth comparing our Parts Store to Automation Technologies prices. Check out our Tutorials way at the bottom of the front page. Some good stuff there. I like the one about Chinese Spindles and their VFDs. Chinese is probably the way to go, but what power, depends on you, and how much weight your Machine can hold on the X axis. :rolleyes:
    Unless you have a lot of money, I'd go for Steppers rather than Servo Motors at the outset. They are great but veryyyyy expensive. :banghead:
    Take a look at Planet CNC. He has a good site and equipment, plus he has some very good tutorials on YouTube. :thumbsup:
    In fact, just put in CNC and whatever, and you'll get loads of stuff coming up. This is really just to give you the feel of what's available, in product and style.
    But you know already, you could spend your life researching on YouTube. :D
    Anyway, try to decide what machine will basically serve your needs to start with, then maybe adapt it to how you want, discussing any limitations this may bring about.
    Gray

11. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

If you want cbeam with a stationary bed try this: C-Beam cnc It covers everything you are asking about. It is popular with a well done build manual.

12. Sprags

Sprags Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks I will check all this stuff out...as it turns out I am going to have a chance to stop by automation technologies store...not that I'm buying anything...

Just browsing...

13. Sprags

Sprags Well-Known
    Builder

so i stopped by Automation Technologies yesterday and saw a ready to go CNC router with an air cooled variable speed spindle motor and all the electronics in a nice heavy duty enclosure. The business owner of course is telling me the obvious which is that its all built, probably a minimal amount of adjustments to get it going and i could be machining away in a short time. He powered it up and showed me the controller software interface and jogged the axis and had the spindle going at about 2000 rpm though he said it could hit 24000 rpm max.

it looked fairly well build. it used linear guide rails on the X or Y axis...and a ball screw for the other. In my business the X axis is that axis that travels from left to right and the Y is what travels from front to back. Here it seems reversed.

Anyway...one of the things that appeals to me is that with Open Builds I get to build it myself. And I get to pick what I want as far as components.

The thing about buying this ready build router is that it is probably cheaper than if i purchased all of the components separately.

I'm thinking maybe the way to go is to just build a standard C-Beam XL for now and then upgrade and modify down the road.

#13 Sprags, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    GrayUK likes this.
  14. Sprags

Sprags Well-Known
    Builder

Got another question.
    Since the x (or y) axis that uses two stepper motors for traversing the table isn't there a synchronization issue to make sure the table is not being driven faster or further with one stepper motor over the other?

15. GrayUK

It's the steps Luke. It's the steps.
    No really, that's the point of a stepper motor. Once they are set up identically, with the same steps etc, they are synchronized. Unless one motor loses steps for one reason or another, they will work together. It is more likely to be an outside source for error, such as a grub screw, or belt slip, or something mechanical, which could also be the motor, to cause a problem in that area.
    That's why, when I mentioned before about running two motors from the same driver, and reversing the wires for one of them, when used with the Ox's "Y" axis, it had too work because the step control came from the same source.

16. Sprags

Sprags Well-Known
    Builder

That makes sense..Thanks.