Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Modular Drag Chain?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Sean McVeigh, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Sean McVeigh

Builder

Hi OpenBuilders,

I'm in the middle of planning my first project (scientific instrumentation for data collection). My design is a derivate of the NEMA 17 Belt & Pinion design on this site, but highly modular and portable for indoor and outdoor testing. The 1st phase will have 3 - 4.5 m track length (prototype), the 2nd phase may have 10m track length, and the final phase may have a 15m track length.

I'm going to need a drag chain for cable management for the gantry. Is it possible to get a length longer than 2m? Preferable in a way that is modular (i.e. attach to chains together with links so it can roll up/out smoothly along the entire length)?

Thanks for reading.

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can make them shorter or longer. Each section is about an inch long or so. Here's a pic showing how they come apart. Its not a pic of the OB stuff, but it works the same

[​IMG]

Sean McVeigh likes this.
  3. Sean McVeigh

Builder

Thanks, that's really helpful. I need to do some calculations on the max supported length and radius. Could you tell me the manufacturer/part that you sell in the store (so I can get the data sheet)? Is it Murrplastik EasyLink?

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. Sean McVeigh

Builder

Thanks, I will.