Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

MKS DLC 32 problem.

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Dr.Deo, Sep 16, 2023.

1. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sorry if I missed it, but when you say it just stops, do you get an error message? What does the serial log say? Does it still have the "Pause Job" icon in the upper toolbar? How about a video?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

A proper CNC controller like a Blackbox https://docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox-x32 would probably solve software workflow issues, EMI resilience, the weak 3D printer driver issues, lack of vendor tech support etc

3. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Based on these two statements:

"the general problem i run in to with Openbuilds postprocessing is that it stops right after starting the job"
    "Not sure why but it stards going downwards and stops after 5mm"

Unless your spindle is all the way up at the start of the job, the first move will be to move the spindle up.

Have we determined that you are homing your machine before setting up work coordinates? You must when using the OB post.

Alex Chambers likes this.
  4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

This image that you posted above tells us that you didnt home your machine and set your work origin correctly. If you notice in the picture, your design is outside of the machine cutting envelope. We see this exact symptom when you reset your machine and dont home and set work origins. Again, its a requirement of the OpenBuilds fusion post.

[​IMG]

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Well spotted Shawn.

Alex.

6. Dr.Deo

Dr.Deo New
    Builder

i will soder up a probe as soon as possible. i will be slow since work stards on monday x-x

7. Misterg

Misterg Journeyman

Those look like drill bits to me, not milling cutters! :eek:

If so, I'm amazed that you got as far as you did.

Alex Chambers and sharmstr like this.
  8. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

You dont need a probe or limit switches to make this work..

The first requirement is to home your machine. If you dont have limit switches to automate homing, then you can fake it: How to 'Fake the home'

The second requirement is to set your stock zero (origin) position. After you've homed, jog over to where you want your stock 0 to be and click set X, Y, Z 0.

David the swarfer likes this.
  9. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

No kidding. Single flute cutters are the way to go in plexiglass.

Giarc likes this.
  10. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

That is weird. The things I would check are cooling (the little steppers get hot).

If you are using TMC drivers, replace them with A4988 drivers which can drive the steppers at 2A per coil. The TMC steppers are only good for about 1.2A per coil.

Edit: nvm, look like the issue is with homing and work area config.

11. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

um, the bits in the picture are DRILL Bits, not milling bits. they are not designed to cut sideways at all, ever.
    you need some like these CNC Router Bits - Pocket/Cut Out - OpenBuilds Part Store

12. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

This exactly. I highly recommend this beginner video on router bits.

13. David the swarfer

the OB post can do it too, you have to change a setting to enable YZ and XZ planes, off by default.
    CONTROL cannot display the vertical arcs so better to default them off. but GRBL will cut them just fine.

Alex Chambers, Misterg and sharmstr like this.
  14. Dr.Deo

Dr.Deo New
    Builder

I just found time for homin the machien today.
    From my understanding i techicaly could Home the machine at any location (for testing).
    So i did that i set all axis to 0 then redid the job. With the same result of the code just trying to plunge down stopping right after.
    since i have one switch installed for the y-coordinate i tryed going there. an error massage apears when the machine hits the switch. Im unsure if thats just the general ''you found your home switch''-massage or if its the ''mainboard crashed restard''-massage

Attached Files:

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Not ANY, Z up as high as it goes, XY at axis maxima would be good too

16. Dr.Deo

Dr.Deo New
    Builder

i activated limiter siwtches

17. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

No you cant.

I might be misunderstanding you, but it seems to me you think homing your machine and settings all axis to 0 is the same thing. It is not. There is machine home and there is work home. Machine home (or "homing") will set your Z as high as possible. As Peter indicated, setting Z as high as possible is needed. Merely turning on your machine, jogging Z up as high as possible and setting 0 isnt going to work either. If you dont use limit switches, your Z needs to be as high as possible BEFORE you turn your machine on and machine home is established.

Again, logs and video would be helpful here.

18. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

Sorry but I think you misunderstand the workflow needed for CNC. I highly recommend you watch this video.

Edit: oops wrong video, this is the one I meant to post:

#48 dJOS_500, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  19. David the swarfer

20. Dr.Deo

Dr.Deo New
    Builder

Ok Ok i have updates !
    i have read all instructions at least twice and watched all videos at least 3 times. You were right i had a wrong understanding of machine home and work home.
    So if i understand correctly before even turning the machine on it has to be at max xyz axis. then my moving the machine to xyz work i set the work coordinates and thus move the coodinate system in the digital view.
    The given numbers on pic labeling match to the digital and real view.

one question i have is. why doesnt the programm get its machine home coordinates by touching switches. but by starting up.
    as far as i understand it the switches prevent the machine going too far negative but wouldnt care going any positive.
    to me there is apearently nothing to stop a user from setting up machine home wrong every time he stards up the machine.

also thank you for beeing patient with me and i hope i understood it now.

Attached Files:

21. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

It will if you enable homing and actually home your machine at startup. Earlier in this thread you said you didnt have switches.

So, now that we know you have limit switches on all axis, go into grbl setting and make sure you have turned on "limit switches installed". If you havent, turn it on and click "save to firmware". Once you do that, back on the Machine Control tab, the "Home All" button will be available. Click on that to Home your machine to set your machine coordinates.

22. Dr.Deo

Dr.Deo New
    Builder

i currently have one y coordinate switch connected. the machine i currently mod does some weird stuff whith cables so i have to take the whole machine apart tomorrow to resoder and rewire switches. also i will make sure it runs correctly set up the way it currently is for validation and proof for the manual i want to write for people that might not have home switches.

its 10 pm here and i worked 8 hours today i think i call it a day for now. :p

23. Dr.Deo

Dr.Deo New
    Builder

i got up early and reworked the wires. I have xyz endstops now.
    also did a check if the g code runs correctly while the work coodinates are set up inside the box. It does.

Im currently testing my endstops and im getting a GRBL Alarm every time the endstops gets pushed and unpushed.

Attached Files:

24. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If you have enabled hard limits that is correct - grbl will stop the machine if it recieves an input saying that an endstop has been triggered.

If it is happening when you are homing the machine you need to increqase your pull off distance.

Alex.

25. Dr.Deo

Dr.Deo New
    Builder

does the button state matter ?
    i just noticed i sodered the the x and z button wrong so its in triggered state when not pushed

26. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

yes it definitely does. If your controller is told to expect normally closed, and they are normally open, it will cause issues.

normally closed (open circuit when triggered) is ideal from a safety point of view. If for example you have a wire failure, the limit switch will trigger saving you from a potentially big machine crash.

Alex Chambers likes this.
  27. Dr.Deo

Dr.Deo New
    Builder

i have set up all switches so they are triggered in the unpushed state.
    im now trying to automate machine homing.
    what i currently do is jog the xyz axis to the maximum by inputing a number that exeeds my cut volume then hitting the emegancy off on my router and resettign the software. after i repeated that for every axis i shut down the machine and software and restard for a mcs makro to work.

This works repeatedly but is a little unconvenient.

I have been trying to use the homing tool but it repeatedly put out an alert that it cant finde home (picture 1)
    i set up the machine so the switches are not triggered but in rage of 1 to 2 mm. I then push the home all button.
    my homing pull-off distance is set to 10mm

Attached Files:

28. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

Why? Just press the home button. As long as you’ve set the homing direction correctly for each axis, you are good.

Then you just jog the spindle to your stock starting point, zero the XYZ work coordinates and press start.

#58 dJOS_500, Sep 23, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  29. Misterg

Misterg Journeyman

Do you mean that the troubleshooting screen in Control shows the limit switches as red when the machine is clear of the limit switches?
    And they go green when the machine hits the limit?

If so, you need to invert the action in grbl settings - Set $5 to '7' for normally closed limit switches ('1 1 1' in binary so that Z, Y & X limit switch inputs are inverted).

30. Dr.Deo

Dr.Deo New
    Builder

i still got some trouble homing. after starting up and pressing home all, this alert apears.

also i drew a sketch of where all those homes are i want to set (i blacked advertisment on the noteblock)

Attached Files: