Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Live C-Beam Build @ MRRF2018

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by obmilllivebuild, Mar 19, 2018.

1. obmilllivebuild

Builder

obmilllivebuild published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

obmilllivebuild likes this.
  3. obmilllivebuild

Builder

Definitely! I agree.

Mark Carew likes this.
  4. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

OpenBuilds will be giving away free t-shirts to some lucky show attendees. Learn how to enter Friday afternoon via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Be sure to follow us to get real time #MRRF2018 news!

5. daisosasen01

Builder

Could you make sure to save the video portion of the electrical wiring and software setup and final cut? I'm stuck in this part. Once I think I got either correct, it does not work and someone else tells me something else. And I blindly follow....but still not working.

6. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Please excuse my ignorance, but, has the "Live Build Event" been and gone, or not even happened yet?? :(
    The time variation always confuses me. :banghead:
    I went to the Youtube page and it says the Video has been removed? So I assume it has happened, therefore, where has it gone?? :rolleyes:

7. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

It's currently 6:05 am in Eastern Time Zone (Goshen, Indiana), so they're probably still in bed :D
    Build is supposed to happen today (Saturday) and tomorrow. Not sure about the Youtube thing. Probably just a place holder till the live-stream starts.

8. obmilllivebuild

Builder

although doors are opening at 8am this morning, the live stream will not begin until closer to 9am.

9. daisosasen01

Builder

Why am I the only one in the live stream chat? I know theirs more watching..

10. obmilllivebuild

Builder

I know we didn't get any close ups of the electronics wiring going in, but if there is anything that you want to see or need to ask, please do so. The wiring still needs cleaned up and I have an updated enclosure to help with this. Aslo, we only toyed with the GRBL panel software and G-code creating (using Fusion 360) for a little bit and don't have any video of that yet. We can put together more as we learn, if you like. Thanks for watching!!

11. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

You guys rock! Thanks you so much for taking the time to talk to others about the OpenBuilds community and showing how the OpenBuilds system works up close and personal. Looks like it was a lot of fun.

MaryD likes this.
  12. obmilllivebuild

Builder

It was a sight to behold this year. Almost endless masses walking by the table. I wished we would have panned the camera out into the crowd for perspective. Even Friday evening was busy and that wasn't technically open to the public yet. We had so many people tell us their stories, a few concerns, and some new ideas to pass along. I'll send a summary email, detailing everything I can remember.

MaryD and Mark Carew like this.
  13. daisosasen01

Builder

I'll be posting detailed pictures shortly and hopefully we can iron this out. be back in a a few hours.

obmilllivebuild likes this.
  14. daisosasen01

Builder

Ok I copied your wiring and have adjusted the settings in grbl (updated to current edition). I will run it and upload a video.

15. daisosasen01

Builder

Ok, so no video (technical issues). But I did notice that my y is not working like it should. My understanding was that home is X0, Y0, Z0 like such (coordinates hyperlinked to image). When running the running the sample code provided on openbuilds website for the y axis is reversed also the x axis.

16. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Really enjoyed the live stream (still available on YouTube video). You guys really did a nice job. Look forward to seeing what you are printing with your new C-Beam Machine 3D Printer!

17. obmilllivebuild

Builder

Notice the origin location in my marked up drawing. When you press "right arrow" key the X axis will increment in the positive direction for tool output (which is actually moving the gantry to the right). "Page Up" should move the tool up, away from the table surface. When you press the "up arrow" key the Y axis will increment in the positive direction for tool output (which is actually moving the Y table toward the front of the machine, since the X-Z gantry can't move away from you). This gives you positive tool output as expected and is correct.
    In your image, the X-Z gantry is able to move in the Y direction, instead of the table moving in the Y. If you were build a machine with this kinematics, your Y wires would need to be reversed from mine. The C-beam machine has a disconnected, independent Y-axis so it's movement, relative to X-Z, is reversed when compared to the kinematic system your picture shows.

I hope that helps.

InkedOpenBuilds CBeam Machine Axis Reference Picture_LI.jpg

18. obmilllivebuild

Builder

We aren't sure what all this machine will be doing yet. I would like to add a full enclosure guard (one that just sits down over the entire machine) with sight windows and make it a laser cutter, but it is mainly going to be used to engrave and mill - probably aluminum plates per its name and engrave small signs. Either way, it will be most handy.

MaryD likes this.
  19. daisosasen01

Builder

When manually jogging the system, it moves in the correct directions. Alternatively when running a program supplied by openbuilds the directions are randomly switched ( - direction becomes +) either by X axis or Y axis. How do I fix it ?

20. obmilllivebuild

Builder

I haven't tried the OB samples, so I don't know if they work properly. I would say if you are jogging correctly, you are probably setup properly.

21. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

My guess is that the machine that Gcode was generated for, had its grbl settings different than what you have for your machine. So, if it was for a moving gantry machine like the ox, and yours is similar in function, it would work. If you are using gcode from the C-beam Machine on an ox-type machine, things could be different. The quickest and easiest way to see if yours works the way you need it to work for stuff you create would be to try to make your own Gcode for something simple you design. Use your CAD/CAM software to make a simple 50mm x 50mm square with the X0 and Y0 at the lower left / front left and cut it out of scrap piece of plywood slightly larger. Place this material in the center of your bed. Zero X and Y on the at the lower left/front left of the material and try cutting. Take a video showing your set-up and cutting. This should give you a margin of safety to stop before something crashes and it is simple enough to figure out what is wrong if it cuts the wrong way. I would send you the gcode, but I do not know your machines parameters. This took less than 5 minutes to do so it would be better if you made your own since you would need to know the thickness of your available material.

Picture in Sketchucam to help with my description:
    upload_2018-3-27_22-49-17.png

Sketchucam is about the easiest cam to use for simple flat parts. It is also something most experienced people on this forum have used so it would be the easiest to use if you need help getting started. I know you have tried with Fusion 360, it is powerful and awesome, but more complicated for the CAM part. If you do not have Sketchup, it is free. Just Google sketchup 2017 and download it if you do not have it. Then download Sketchucam to start generating gcode. There is a whole thread in the CAM thread in the forums here.