Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

LINEAR RAIL SPHINX 55 (Blue OX plates)

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by that-jim, May 2, 2020.

1. that-jim

that-jim New
    Builder

2. Corey Corbin

Builder

Hi, I was wondering how is the cnc machine build going? I was curious if you have got it going to notice if the MGN12 alignment block for the rails works good or you do think you still have to use dial indicator?

3. that-jim

that-jim New
    Builder

Corey, well... it is going kind of slow. I did get all of the hardware for attaching the rails and they are now on. At first I tried a 3d printed guide for rail alignment but was not satisfied with the result. So I made an aluminum block that I bolted to the extrusion, this block has an adjustable screw for setting the rails. like this, there are t nuts holding it on so you can push the rail against it then snug down the rail

20200505_184825.jpg

This worked very well, I did check the rails with an indicator afterword but they seemed perfect. I think this measuring step is not really necessary but it was reassuring to confirm that my alignment jig worked.

20200504_213033.jpg

Once I set and tightened the top rail I loosely assembled the bottom rail, side plate and rail blocks. Then I slid the side plate back and forth and snugged up the bottom rail and blocks. I figured that this would align the bottom rail to the top rail and as far as I can tell it did the trick.

#3 that-jim, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  4. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

That aluminum block and screw are brilliant. I was just trying to come up with something to do the same thing, but you did it for me. Awesome! thanks.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Corey Corbin

Builder

Good idea! Thanks for sharing. I was a little on the fence about 3d printing the guide but I was gonna try it. Only reason why is I know my 3d printer. And I figured I print it up and something would be off. But I like your idea better. Glad I asked, I am still sourcing parts so haven't got my rails yet. I have had to redo
    Z axis plate so machine is apart right now. But as soon as I can cut aluminum reliably I plane to make some plates and upgrade to rails system or just start another bigger machine. Thanks!

6. Corey Corbin

Builder

Nice update! Machine looking good. I also like the thrust bearing and washer Idea! Did you push the motor drive coupler just snug?

7. that-jim

that-jim New
    Builder

Thanks Corey. Yes the motor coupling is 'just' pushed against the thrust washer. I have cut a few projects with the machine so far and everything seems to be working well.

8. ICT Avatar

Builder

9. that-jim

that-jim New
    Builder

Those should work, they look exactly like the ones I used.