Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

      1. Build Progress:
        • Build Complete!
      Rate This Build
      0/5,
      0 votes
      My machine is a combination of the following;

      Based on Sphinx 55 by Kyo Shinohara link
      Inspired by Sorin Iliesu build link
      Custom plates from Chris Laidlaw - Blue OX link

      For the rails I used the following;
      6 - 500mm MGN12 linear rails
      2 – 250mm MGN12 linear rails
      16 – MGN12H guide blocks​

      To attach the rails I used;
      58 10mm M3 scoket head for mgn12 blocks
      6 8mm M3 scoket head for x/z-axis plate mgn12 blocks
      140 8mm M3 scoket head for mgn12 rail to c-beams
      140 M3 t-nut for attaching rails
      8 34mm M5 scoket head for anti backlash blocks with spacers
      24 20mm M5 button head for plate to end of extrusion ie plate to end of c-beam
      8 30mm M5 button head for thicker plate end connection on z axis
      16 10mm M5 button head for 6mm plate to t-nut/slot connection

      Openbuilds has great instructions for the Sphinx 55, so I thought I would just document the things that I did differently to add the MGN12 linear rails.

      My 500mm rails were just a bit long I had to grind of about 1mm to make them fit between the end-plates on the c-beams.
      20200502_155217.jpg
      I used the slide in style t-nuts for the rails, I did not trust the twist in style with so many to fiddle with.
      20200504_210521.jpg


      To attach and align the rails I made a small alignment jig that I attached to the c-beams to get the first rail of a pair of aligned to the c-beam. I worked my way front to back snugging the jig down then setting the rails against it and tightening down the rail bolts.
      20200505_184825.jpg

      With the first rail aligned to the c-beam, I then checked the rails with an indicator. However using the jig was enough to get the first rails straight, so using the indicator may not be necessary. Once I had the first rail straight and fixed in place I loosely installed the second with the guide blocks and end-plate. That way I could slide the end-plate to align the bearings and then sung everything up.
      20200504_213033.jpg


      The front plate on the y axis c-beam will allow the side rail blocks to slide right off the front, for now I installed a few longer screw and nuts for a stop. I know that I will have to work out a better solution than this when I start to run the machine.
      20200517_233529.jpg

      I found that I was not happy with the standard locking collars and decided to look for something that fit a little more snugly. I found 5/16 double split shaft collars on ebay and they fit the openbuilds rod very well. Here is a link. I also placed a thrust bearing between the flexible coupling and the c-beam end plate. My theory is that this arrangement will help eliminate unwanted movement.
      20200712_172543.jpg 20200521_171308.jpg 20200521_171255.jpg


      The stock limit switch locations were not compatible with my linear rail build. After a bit of thought I decided that inductive limit switches would be better with the locations that I had to work with. I cut an aluminum angle bracket for the z limit and mounted it to the z axis c-beam.
      20200515_175006.jpg 20200515_175704.jpg


      The x-axis limit switch is mounted to a 3d printed bracket that attaches to the x-axis c-beam.
      20200712_124156.jpg


      The y-axis limit switch is mounted to a 3d printed bracket that attaches to the y-axis motor stand.
      20200523_180017.jpg 20200523_180031.jpg 20200523_181708.jpg 20200712_124511.jpg


      I am up and running now so I am calling this build complete. All-though I still have quite a few things I want to do, like build and sound/dust enclosure with a box for all of the wiring and electronics.

      20200712_124637.jpg 20200712_124746.jpg 20200712_124920.jpg

      Here are a few of the first things I have cut with the machine.

      A set of front c-beam plates to prevent the y-axis from traveling to far forward.
      20200610_140916.jpg 20200610_143231.jpg 20200610_145643.jpg 20200610_183635.jpg

      A set of 'nuts' to make adjusting the tension on the x-axis motor easier.
      20200525_140956.jpg 20200525_141519.jpg 20200525_151317.jpg 20200525_152225.jpg

      And a set of spindle mount brackets to strengthen the spindle mount and make adjusting it easier.
      20200612_225901.jpg 20200613_115616.jpg 20200613_113658.jpg 20200613_125145.jpg 20200613_125151.jpg 20200613_132730.jpg 20200613_132908.jpg

      Attached Files:

      1. Special Notes

  • Loading...
  • Build Details

    Build License:
    • CC - Attribution - CC BY

    Reason for this Build

    I wanted a small rigid machine for cutting aluminum.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice