Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

LEAD 1515, HGH15, SFU1604 Ball Screw

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Netechsys, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Netechsys

Netechsys New
    Builder

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Veteran
    Builder

Check your critical speed on your Y ballscrews! Especially if you haven't bought anything yet.

Other than that, looks promising. :thumbsup:

3. Netechsys

Netechsys New
    Builder

Everything is on order. Playing with the cad designs for the plates that I will need to make.

one change I made to the parts was the fixed mount for the ball screw. I replaced the BK12 with a HM12-57 c5 mount, so it has the NEMA 23 mount built into the end mount with upgraded 7001 bearings.

I’ll post more when I get the parts and start the assembly.

Attached Files:

4. Netechsys

Netechsys New
    Builder

Been doing the design of the plates needed for this configuration, and came up with a design for XYA configurations. This will create a very strong base. This design will require 2 different plate types to be made, one for the top/bottom plate that attaches to the HGH15CC blocks, and a 2nd that will attach to the 1st plate on the side and the DSG16H nut block in the middle. The uprights will attach to the front of the plates, and run on the inside of the XA beams, and the front of the Y Beam.

After the parts are cut, and I get the base built, I will share the step files for the plates.

Attached Files:

5. Netechsys

Netechsys New
    Builder

Ok. Need a bit of input and help. First a couple easy questions.

is there a way to connect multiple extrusions together along the length of the extrusions? Say 2 1500mm c beams, connecting them together on the 40mm sides to make 1 double 40-160?

second. Does anyone have a good supplier for 20100 aluminum extrusions? Heavy duty?

last one, and I apologize for the long question, I need help poking holes in an idea. I am upgrading to 15mm linear rails with 2 carriages per rail, 2 sets per axis. What if, for the s axis, I use the c-beam with the rail on both sides, and the carriages mounting to the y gantry, so the carriages are stationary and the c-beam with the rails moves with the ball nut. That way, I think, the z-axis would be able to drop full height the travel, and stay rigid. My concern is the lateral and horizontal rigidity for this. Think it will keep the z axis rigid?

thanks. Parts are on their way. Plates are being cut. Hopefully I will start the assembly soon.

6. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Veteran
    Builder

1) Not unless you start drilling through your extrusion. I bought very large 1/8" aluminum sheet as a joining plate for my double C-Beam axes.

2) Either one is a standard way of doing it. Just google "moving rail vs moving bearing z axis"

7. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I did this when I built mine and made my own 80X40X838 gantry beam. V-slot-connector parts (V-Slot connector | OpenBuilds ) were printed to line up the two pieces of 20x80 v slot. I pounded 3 in on each end. Then I drilled and tapped 12 holes to screw the two beams together. Technically I only tapped 11 since my tap broke off in the 12th. :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Netechsys

Netechsys New
    Builder

THANK YOU!! This is what I was looking for. Now, I need to go "borrow" my friends 3d printer for a while..

9. Netechsys

Netechsys New
    Builder

All parts are ordered. I have built the design in a few different CAD programs, and will share the files for the plates when it is built and verified that everything works as I hope, but here are a few images of the design. The only thing that is not right in the Overview is the Z Axis, as I am still playing with the plates and the design.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.45.04 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.48.41 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.46.16 AM.png
    The XA Axis plate is:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.53.17 AM.png

This will allow for 8 T-Nuts to attach to the Y upright, and the use 16 Angle connectors. The Y axis is similar, but will have the 4 HGH15CA blocks attached to the plate, and the HGH15R rails will attach to the Z axis. For the end plates of the XAY gantrys, I think I will use 1/4" angle aluminum to tie the top and bottom C-Beams together, and give a good stable mount for the bearing block.

The stepper mounts I have to say are nice! They incorporate the bearing block and the stepper mount in one unit.

StepperMount.jpg

I hope to start the final build when the last few parts come in later this week.. Maybe, by the end of the weekend, I will have it far enough to play..