Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Larger then K40 build...

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by MajBatG, Apr 3, 2022.

1. MajBatG

MajBatG New
    Builder

I'm new here so plz don't throw anything to sharp, but I've been exploring a build and maybe someone here at Openbuilds has done the same.

I laser with a 3 yr old K40 (mini gerbil v2) and Lightburn. It's simple. I have all the control of the laser with Lightburn that I want. However I've outgrown the work area and would like an area of around 600 x 400. I cannot afford nor do I want to pay for an offshore out of box solution.

I don't think I want (or need) a Roeda as part of my build. I think? I want another miniGerbil (v3) and piece together the rest of the parts list possible from Cloudray. Not saying the Roeda controller is bad for my idea I just think I get all the machine control I want from Lightburn. If accepting another learning curve by adding a Roeda gets me to far better engraving and cutting I will. This guy Rob (furtherfabrication.com) inspired me to build what I want. I'll be picking of all his material to use as reference.

So, is there anyone here who has built a larger then K40 using just a board like miniGerbil (or Cohesion3d) and drive the whole mess with just Lightburn? External drivers or just the onboard drivers I would very much like to hear from someone.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Consider the OpenBuilds BlackBox too, runs Grbl, supports Lightburn

3. MajBatG

MajBatG New
    Builder

Tnx, I will check it out...

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder