Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Large Router build.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Steveastbury, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Steveastbury

Builder

Hi everyone, I have a mini mill at the minute but have soon out grown it.
    I want to build a large 8x4 size router and after looking at the OX machine I decided to base my machine around this design.
    But from speaking to large OX owners I have found that I will need to beef up the OX by using C-beam and a R&P drive for my X and Z axis's.
    Has anyone made plates for this? as the standard OX plates will not work!!! or can anyone share there ideas or designs on this larger sized cnc please

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Here is where you can get some ideas. Area 51 CNC Parts F-117 CNC Gear Rack Drive System. Just make it bigger. I would skip the Open Rail linear rail and use v-slot. You just need to change the hole spacing for the wheels. Then use your minimill to make the plates.

The funny thing for me is that everyone wants to up-size, and after a year and a half of using mine, I wish I would have went smaller. I basically cut in the same 12X16 inch spot every time. I have only uses the entire 1270 mm X 665 mm cutting area once and for something completely unnecessary, but fun :thumbsup: (Halloween Gravestone for Zero (Nightmare Before Christmas)).

GrayUK and Joe Santarsiero like this.
  3. DA_Spec

DA_Spec New
    Builder

You can look at my build im using a pro cncrp rack and pinion kit area is 1000x1500 for now but going to build 4x8 in the near future the grantry use two cbeam brace together in the back with hiwin rails on each axis

4. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

If you want to do a belt driven OX, then the Chrisclub OX HD plates is what you want.. for 2080 x y rails and c-beam z.
    on ebay or you can email him