Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Is this a viable build?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by CreemCheese, Aug 21, 2018.

1. CreemCheese

Builder

I was really interested in CNC some years back and then life kinda got in the way of things and forget most of what I read back then. I'm getting the itch to try it again and found a sketchup file (probably missing some screws and brackets) of a machine plan I made back then using all off the shelf parts, will be 500mm extrusions belt driven for the x and y, with 250mm screw driven for the z. Trying to keep it affordable.
    This will be for engraving, light routing, and possibly mount a laser. Think this will be sturdy enough? Would I be better finding a build that has already been proven?

I feel like 1000x1000 would be a better size, and thought I chose that before. Would I have thought that would have too much flex?

Attached Files:

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You might take a look at the Routy, it's fairly close to what you have there. From what you have shown the only item I really question is the rollers supporting the Z-axis. They way they extend out on the spacers may not be terribly sound. I would suggest using the spacer blocks as used on the Routy. The only other issue would be size of the X-beam relative to the weight of the router. The small beam you have shown would probably handle a very light weight spindle but not much more and if you want to take it up to 1000mm you'll want to go with at least a double thickness of the 20x60 extrusion. Overall, I would suggest you peruse the CNC builds section. A lot of ideas have come and gone since you put this idea together and you may find something you like even better.

CreemCheese likes this.
  3. CreemCheese

Builder

Thank you for the reply. Now that you mentioned the name Routy, I do remember using that as reference for several things. I definitely see what you mean about having the z rollers out on the spacers, my old thinking with that was trying to get as much z movement.