Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Is it possible to run two machines from one computer?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by jeffmorris, Mar 20, 2019.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I have 3D printer with Simplify software and CNC router with GRBL Panel. Both machines are connected to USB ports. Is it possible to run two machines from one computer at the same time?

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

possible but not recommended. good chance one of them will be starved of resources and ruin either the 3D print or the router job.

A Raspberry Pi plus a small screen will run the router just fine == cheap insurance that it will all work and stay working.

3. GlavanicSC

Builder

I think it depends on the system you have. I would not risk running two machines on my computer

4. FredTheNuke

Builder

So from what I read above I can load Gcode into a raspberry pi with a small screen and run a LEAD CNC being controlled by a Blackbox? I will be Googling like crazy today to understand exactly what to buy as I have a need to have 2 CNC routers operating at one time as some of the 3D carvings I want to do are going to take hours per pass.

5. FredTheNuke

Builder

6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

I'm running OB Control on a raspberry pi with the OB blackbox. Works great. Here's how to install OpenBuilds/SW-Machine-Drivers

Note that the info on the page hasnt been updated since they changed the name to OpenBuilds Control, so the directions still refer to SW-Machine-Drivers. Once its installed, you'll want to make the following changes so that the 3d viewer will work. OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

EDIT: I'd also suggest that you have at least a 10" screen. Anything smaller will be annoying.

#6 sharmstr, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. FredTheNuke

Builder

Thanks! So I do not need this CNC hat board if I use a Blackbox? correct?

this is what I'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pl...pi+3+b++with+touch,aps,122&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

I'll add a 24 inch monitor to it with the goal of only having control software on it. I'll generate the gcode on a full power computer and then transfer to the Pi via a USB stick.

PS - if I have any knowledge flaws in this conceptually please let me know - this is all new to me but I love learning trial by fire!

8. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

The blackbox is the controller board for your machine. No need for any other cnc hat/board.

If you're going to connect a 24" monitor, then there's no point in buying that kit from amazon. Lots of wasted stuff in there. All you need is a raspberry pi, keyboard, mouse and power adapter.

For the Pi, get the latest Model 3 B+. This looks like a decent kit to get: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Starter-Premium-Black/dp/B07BCC8PK7/

FredTheNuke likes this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

I just updated the Wiki with @sharmstr's webGL instructions, but if I can ask a favour :) Can the next person do do this help me grab updated screenshots please :)

OpenBuilds/SW-Machine-Drivers

FredTheNuke and sharmstr like this.