Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to hook up a 48 Volt and 24 Volt Power supply using a single AC Rocker Switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Ed Zacly, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Ed Zacly

Ed Zacly New
    Builder

Greetings,

I am trying to assemble a Control Box for my Ox Metal CNC router, I would like to determine if my power supply hook up is correct as per the schematic below. I am stuffing this into a small mini tower and space is at a premium on the back panel…

As per the illustration below I have:
    1. One plug in point /AC rocker switch for both power supplies.
    2. Two power supplies, 24 V & 48 V on the same terminal but hooked up separately and supplying two separate circuits.

Rocker Switch: AC rocker switch power

Larger PDF file attached for detailed review,

I have zero knowledge in electronics….Support and comments appreciated.

Regards & Thank you

upload_2017-12-17_10-52-44.png

upload_2017-12-17_11-7-13.png

Attached Files:

GrayUK likes this.
  2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Looks good to me. What spindle are you planning on using?

3. Ed Zacly

Ed Zacly New
    Builder

Hi Joe,

Thank you for responding... I have zero experience with electronics, let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement / efficiency ?

I bought the spindle and the speed control from SMW3D … the picture in the PDF was off the internet for layout purposes only..

Quiet Cut Spindle
    Quiet Cut Spindle

Spindle Speed Control
    Spindle Speed Control

Regards,
    Ed

4. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Nope, but I'm not an electrician either. I do not have zero experience though. Just enough to keep the blue smoke in and my hair in place.
    Everything looks great. I'm kinda jealous I don't have a wire diagram that nice for my machine :) I drew one similar up years ago when I was building a home studio.

One thing. Do you plan on shielding the motors or limits?

Ed Zacly likes this.
  5. Ed Zacly

Ed Zacly New
    Builder

Yeah kinda like to avoid the blue smoke... and keep whats left of my DNA intact, that said I really appreciate the benefit of your providing some over site, I would be nervous about starting this thing up with out input.. I am just starting to assemble this build now and hope to complete over the next two weeks ... once I have it completed I will let you know how it went....

Shielding, Both the 4 core and 2 core wiring are shielded additionally I am going to add 3 small capacitors .47uf on the negative leg to the ground rail, and the positive to one of the limit sense pins on the controller.

As per this article...End Stop / Limit Switch Problems ...thanks for reminding me as I need to add that to the drawing, that will be on Rev .03

By the way, can you look at this issue, if you have the time... I posted this question in the wrong part of the forum.. it's the only other issue that I need clarification on..
    3Pcs NO NC Momentary Square Push Button Switch DC 24V / Clarification x Pro V3 Build

Thanks again & Regards,

Ed Zac