Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to check 1515 for square and how to square it?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Shawn Patrick, May 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Shawn Patrick

Builder

Newbie of course but just wanted to make sure I'm fully understanding how to check if the Leads 1515 frame is square and how to square it if needed. I did a simple estimated measurement with tape measure from corner to corner. It's off by 1/4 of inch but I would suspect there's a more accurate way of checking.

The main reason for this question is that I'm getting different results that what is expected. For instance, I have a .60 inch hole designed in Fusion 360 but getting .52 once milled using 2D Contour. The bit is a Carbide 1/4 > 1/8 UpCut 2 Flute Ball Nose. I'm still learning and not quite grasping what feed & speed to use.

I can provide other information if needed.

~Shawn

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

To measure diagonals I use two pointed sticks - each over 1/2 the distance. Push the point of each stick into opposite corners, hold the sticks firmly together and overlapping, remove without letting them move relative to each other and measure point to point with a rule.
    Alex.

3. Shawn Patrick

Builder

Thanks for the response but is that the best and most accurately way to check square? It's got to be as near as impossible to remove the 2 sticks from the frame without them moving. That's got to be a better way.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I measure corner to corner with a tape.

Is your hole round? Did you calibrate the x y and z axis? If not, your machine thinks it is cutting 60 mm but may only be cutting 52. For the CAM, did you enter in the cutting diameter or the endmill shaft diameter? 1/4 vs 1/8?

A good way to see if your machine is square is to try and cut a big square and check that. However, what used to be a $8 4x8 sheet of cheap plywood now costs more than the CNC. ;)

Or engrave a big square into your spoilboard around the perimeter to save on materials cost

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Wrap some tape around them.
    Alex.

6. Shawn Patrick

Builder

Ok, I found a Fusion file online which I've attached plus I've attached the G-Code that was processed. It has several toolpath included but I simply just ran the 15" square with 4 corner holes. I place a tape measure diagonally and it's off by 1/16 to 3/32. In my book that's pretty **** close but maybe not good enough for CNC work. Let me know what you think.

To answer your questions, The cutout hole looks pretty round to me. Yes, I did calibrate the X, Y and Z axis using OB control software. I downloaded the Sharkbits Fusion 360 library file for their bits which defined the bit as 1/8.

For testing my cuts which I have now done 9 times (Oh my), I'm using the $8 per 4' x 8' sheet Hardboard Tempered Panel 1/8" thick. Ripping them down to 8" x 48' sample pieces. I figure it was the best and cheapest option. The reason for selecting this is that my final product will be 2 pieces with one at 15" x 48" and the other 8" x 48" using an Aluminum Composite Sheet, 0.118" (3mm).

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Attached Files:

7. Shawn Patrick

Builder

I do get the following error (screenshot attached) but it may be a totally different issue... not sure.

Attached Files:

8. Shawn Patrick

Builder

Not sure if the above issue or this one is related but I figure the more information I provided it might help, I hope. The material I'm using measures at .130 inches thick and I'm setting my extrude to .165 high. I've never got a full cut all the way through the material. I've attached my Fusion 360 file for anyone who wishes to review.

Attached Files:

9. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Have you calibrated your Z axis? Go into Wizards and Tools if you havent

10. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

As that says, it's not an error - you didn't select which work co-ordinate system to use in Fusion cam setup, so it is going to use the default - wcs1 (G54).
    Alex.

11. Shawn Patrick

Builder

Thanks for everyone's responses but I'm still unable to get an accurate cut. I'm going to start a new thread with a more appropriate subject title.

12. Shawn Patrick

Builder

Yes, I have ran the calibration wizard for all 3 axis. I will say that when I'm running the calibration for the X axis and on step 2 it will ask you to advance the axis 100mm, my axis moves 150mm. I complete the calibration and it modifies the code. I just thought it was a bit weird.