Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help with Router Connection

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Justin Stroup, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Justin Stroup

Builder

I have just completed the build for my LEAD 1515 and when installing the makita router that came with the kit I ran the cord through the flex tube and the drag chain out the side with about a foot of cord left. How am I supposed to plug this into the Black box for Openbuilds Control System to tell the router when to turn on and turn off? It doesn’t look like there is even a place to plug into to. How is this supposed to work?

I also am having trouble with the Control Software as the Homing button on the program is grayed out not allowing me to use it. It didn’t make sense to me then I tried to use the homing button on the Interface Remote to see the same thing. The homing button does not work there either. What am I doing wrong?

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You should not run the high voltage in the drag chain with the low voltage. It can create electromagnetic interference hat can cause issues. A good option is the Swing Arm

As for powering the router, the blackbox can not power it. There is no AC plug on it. You can turn the router on and off with the blackbox by using an IOT Switching Relay Power Strip
    See how to do so here:
    docs:blackbox:connect-dewalt-iotrelay [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Or just manually turn it on before starting the job.

As for homing, did you enable homing in your grbl settings? Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki

3. Justin Stroup

Builder

In the video sent to me by Openbuilds it clearly shows the dewalt router cord being ran through the drag chain. Thank you for the answer on the connector to the black box

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

You can do it, but there is a chance it may cause issues. I don't, but I am paranoid about EMI. Mine hangs from the ceiling above the CNC machine. Also, I have never had an issue with EMI.

5. Justin Stroup

Builder

Does anyone have any idea as to why I can’t use the Homing button on the control software? It is in the program but it’s greyed out so I can’t click on it. What does this mean?

6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Go into grbl settings and turn on "limit switches installed" and make sure Homing Cycle is enabled (setting $22)

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Justin Stroup

Builder