Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help please

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Fábio Pires, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Fábio Pires

Builder

Hi guys.
    i'll try to explain my problem to the best of my ability in english.
    I've made a 3d printed cnc in the hope of later on mill the openbuild plates in 10mm cast acrylic so i can upgrade for a openbuilds type machine. i have a cnc arduino shield v3 + tb6560 drivers + nema17 94oz.in with grbl 1.1f. i use sketchup and export dxf to openbuilds cam.

so this is my problem:
    before i do any cutting i always do prototype of the thing i want to cut just to see if the measurements align properly and then a cut the final product. so i've downloaded a v slot gantry for my 2040 v slot aluminium rail into skecthup and then export it as dxf to openbuilds cam.when i do this and after cutting i realize that the wheels are so far apart that is impossible for both to make contact with the alluminium and even the plate seems a few mm smaller. i believe that in the process of exporting the dxf the measurements somehow get buggy or there is a problem when i download the gantry into sketchup, i dont know, it seems that sketchup file does not have the correct measurements in mm. at this time i'm really lost, i didnt want to go by trial and error trying to guess the right measures and design a plate from scratch cause that would be time consuming. maybe there is someone here that had the same issue or alike. can any of you guys help me?

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Did you calibrate your steps per mm when you finished your machine? I cant speak to ob cam or sketchup, but I can say that if your motor steps aren't properly calibrated, your part wont be the correct size.

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

sharmstr likes this.
  4. Fábio Pires

Builder

hi there thanks for your input. yes it's calibrated.