Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Fusion360 Rotary Error 'only 3 axis supported'

Discussion in 'CAM' started by LunaFish, Jan 19, 2021.

1. LunaFish

LunaFish New
    Builder

Hi,
    I'm trying to get the g-code for making a chess piece on my LEAD1515 4th axis. I'm using the rotary option in Fusion and cannot create the g-code with the GRBL post-processor as I get the following error:

"Tool-Rotation detected but GRBL only supports 3 Axis"

All I want is the Y axis to to control the rotary turning, so it's still 3 axis. Anyone found out how to do this?

Thanks in advance

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. LunaFish

LunaFish New
    Builder

Yeah I have the paths all set up fine in Fusion, the wrapping isn't the problem. It's the fact the GRBL post-processor doesn't like the Y-axis being used for rotary, there should be a way to make it work but I'm just not sure how.

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Officially grbl doesn't support rotary axes; you can't designate an axis motion in degrees. So you need a CAM/post that'll fake it (presumably when previously given a microstepping value and possibly steps/mm calibration, since it has to reverse-egineer what it thinks the Y wants). Vectric is usually what people use to lie to grbl. If you understand the differences between what Fusion will naturally produce (M6, G28, etc) and what grbl wants, you could post a generic file and then edit it afterwards, though you'd have to convert degrees of motion to steps and then to mm. There may be existing XZB grbl posts out there that you can install for Fusion, I don't know.

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

sharmstr likes this.