Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Fusion 360 Cam

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by fflen, May 9, 2024.

1. fflen

fflen New
    Builder

New at this. You will know that if you've read any of my posts. Seams like most are using Fusion 360 for design so thats what I've been learning, I have used your Cam with designed projects and everything works fine but now I found out I can't just load it into your cam I am trying to figure out how to use Fusion's Cam. I uploaded your post program into Fusion's Library, it accepts it but when I look at the G code I can't find your Probe Macro anywhere. I Read in a post to upload your postprocessor to Fusion's Library. I am having a hard time imputing some of Fusion's settings. I was just getting use to your terminology, they some I can't figure out. I thought your postprocessor had everything I needed in it like your Cam. So Do I have to add the Probe Macro. Can I Just take the G Code that you use in the beginning of a program down to say
    Direct Plunge
    G1 F2700 X144.1253 Y74.8135 Z1 and insert it before every operation.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The probe macro is not output in the g-code. Nor is it in Openbuilds Cam. You will find it in Openbuilds Control.
    You use the probe to set a wcs (Work Coordinate System) zero - in the same place on your workpiece as you set the origin in Fusion cam - before you run your g-code.

Alex.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Alex, no Plasmas do a Touch-off probe before every Pierce :) your information is incorrect.
    Every polyline / entity before it gets cut gets positioned above entry point, probed, rezeroed, Plasma fired, dwell in place to pierce and only then start moving. Almost like how you'd turn a laser on/off between segments but with the added probe routine

That is in the GCODE. @fflen is familiar with this already as he was using OpenBuilds CAM (which uses a customizable macro, though normal users won't need to edit it, just select the Add On in the settings page) - but he is exploring Fusion now so that knowledge needs to translate over - and the Fusion post does the same thing but in a little different way

@Alex Chambers You should watch the LEAD1010 plasma videos and maybe also Dr D Flo's plasma video on Youtube - got some catching up to do, also see docs:blackbox-x32:connect-plasma [OpenBuilds Documentation] and note the touch off probe switch wiring - old established way of dealing with warp / floating head plasmas etc.

@fflen:
    Our Fusion post adds the gcode: But its not a macro, you just setup the "use z touchoff probe routine" tick along with the "Plasma touch Probe Offset" (Use 3mm for the LEAD Plasma Add-on like @fflen has) - have a read through the Post's Plasma Readme: OpenBuilds-Fusion360-Postprocessor/README-plasma.md at master · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-Fusion360-Postprocessor

David the swarfer likes this.
  4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Apologies. Post didn't mention plasma. :banghead:

5. fflen

fflen New
    Builder

Sorry should have mentioned Plasma this is all new, a month ago I never even heard of G Code, I am not a computer person but I do use them just about everyday.
    I am not stuck on using Fusion or Fusion Cam. Your Cam software seems easier to me, if I had someway of loading a design file into it. If your have a easier way for me to design simple parts and get them into your Cam software that would be great. Alex I did read a post dated maybe three years ago that you were involved or wrote something like a kind of sketch design software can't remember the name but I haven't looked into it yet. I also have some problems reading old posts and new posts mixed in together, most everything has changed so fast if you do a search a lot of the information from post to post is confusing. This whole thing started because I couldn't load a Fusion file into your Cam software. Again any help in something easier please let me know. This is something I'll be using maybe once a month thats why I liked what the Control G Code looked like, I couldn't understand most of it but It looked like I could use say your Plasma first cut code and just insert the G Code from your cam software like Probe, speeds, work area the whole beginning setup between each operation. The rest looks like just locations. Maybe I am using the wrong terms but I think you know what I mean.
    Thanks

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Exporting CAD as DXF (R14 Polyline) will do docs:software:file-errors [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Some CADs try to be too fancy, but you can always use free QCAD to convert everything thats not a polyline to a polyline for any files that doesn't want to open cleanly in OpenBuilds CAM: Problems with importing DXF into OBcam

Key being don't try to open a fusion file in OpenBuilds CAM. Get Fusion to export a DXF for you. Open the DXF in OpenBuilds CAM, Make sure its a good polyline DXF

Sketchup Make 2017 with the Guitarlist DXF plugin? Pretty much any CAD that spit out DXFs. See docs:software:overview [OpenBuilds Documentation]