Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Fixed Gantry CNC Router with Old Industrial Supplies

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by MattR, Feb 25, 2018.

1. MattR

MattR New
    Builder

MattR published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. MattR

MattR New
    Builder

My microsd card started to die. I decide that since I had to re-flash a new card, I might as well start with a more current build. I downloaded bone-debian-9.11-machinekit-armhf-2019-09-29-4gb.img.xz from Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org and flashed a new card. Instead of just continuing to boot from the microsd card like I had previously done, I changed the /boot/uEnv.txt to flash to BBB's eMMC (un-comment last line of the file and restore power to the BBB while holding down the button closest to the microsd slot). I copied my saved machinekit configuration files over to the fresh image and BOOM nothing worked. :)

The setup.sh file from my previous configuration was looking for the old slots file which has gone away along with kernel overlays (more details: Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org). I downloaded the settings from the same example setup I had previously used at machinekoder/machinekit to see what was different. I ended up using the new setup.sh file as-is and creating a new .bbio file. I rebooted and most everything worked except that I couldn't de-energize the steppers. I was using 9_25 as the enable pin and I couldn't use it until I un-commented the line to disable audio in uEnv.txt (disable_uboot_overlay_audio=1). Another reboot and I was able to continue making stuff!

To do: I'm going to pick a file manager set up a few icons for frequently used things (including machinekit). Set auto-login up again. Figure out why I am getting "conv-s32-float.0 not found" errors with the .hal file that lets me use a gamepad as a controller.